View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
19 2SS

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Ted View Post
I've seen your other posts and my heart goes out to you sir. While my DD work truck 2.9 is a diffferent animal it has been on for 7 yrs as of last month with no issues other than a leaking bypass 3 yrs ago. Not even a belt but I just saw a tiny crack so it's due now. I do not believe it is the tensioner at all. Sometimes the person in the middle of a problem can't see the obvious and I mean no disrespect. Imho it has to be something driven by the belt that is causing this.

I'm an HVAC guy (48 yrs now) and I've seen failures many times due to bearings and misalignment although sometimes it just breaks or shreds the belt. I just looked at my belt and it comes off the crank to the tensioner then to an idler then to the alternator then to another idler. Of course Whipple, ps ac and water pump too I guess.

Is it the spring on the tensioner or the bearing on the tensioner pulley? I believe something is causing a harmonic or strain on the tensioner that is causing the repeated problem. If you haven't already check the bearings on every single item driven by the belt. Use a heat gun when everything is warm to check bearings as best you can as well as spinning everything by hand and checking for any play whatsoever with the belt off.

When you can move a bearing any whatsoever from side to side like 12 to 6 o'clock and 3 to 9 o'clock if you feel anything even a tiny bump, bump, that bearing is bad and will heat up when ran for a few minutes. Also the mount on the front of the engine from Whipple could just be improperly machined causing alignment issues. Hope this gives you some ideas but in no way do I believe it is the tensioner with this many failures. Best of luck sir. Ted
So it’s the bearing inside the tensioner pulley that becomes super loose, and there is scratched metal on the back end of the pulley but I think that only happens after it becomes loose, I don’t think that scraped metal spot has to do with the actual problem