View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #31
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
Valley cover and steering rack

70 valley cover for di lifter and sod block off.
13mm x 8 bolts. (10 but Two were already removed with oil pump). Bolts have locating washers.
One 13mm bolt to remove di lifter.
Oil hole faces passenger,( may not matter). Lifter is in work chest
Lined valley with dilapidated but clean old socks to prevent dropping dod plugs. Used cbi streetcars for this as part of gpi kit. Small household hammer worked great. As per many other sources tap them in carefully until they bottom out and sound changes. Layed cover back for continued dust debri protection.
71 preparing to remove steering rack

Disconnecting steering shaft.3 bolts total bottom different. (For future lower bolt 37lb ft and upper [middle] bolt 27lbft and top) locktite on all. Look at orientation closely. A lot of components will have to line up correctly upon reassembly.
Top two bolts Manual states to turn wheel enough to get bolts out from up top. However since that was awkward for the bottom bolt and so much is removed from car it was actually significantly easier with bottom bolt to turn to remove from bottom. Loosen bolts enough you can remove them by hand from the top. Move wheel back completely straight.
Bottom bolt
After centering wheel I wedged ⅜” extension through inside shaft to keep wheel from moving much. ½” might work better but I had a spare in this size. Scary stuff
Painted orange at arrows to help on reassembly
72 steering rack continued
Make marks for reassembly. I’m thinking I won’t be able to get a torque wrench in there.
Measuring to try and ensure wheels stay straight see pics for where I measured. Came out almost the same. I love these big calipers!
Loosen to end 18mm bolts on tie rod end. Outer ones don’t touch inner!! I was so concerned about getting ends out of spindle without ruining my boots. I bought a front end service kit and I still couldn’t see that it was going to work well. To my unbelievable surprise they popped right out. I didn’t even have to hammer them!! Outer tie rods shoe 26ftlb and 40-50 degrees
Remove electrical connectors. Top is locking red tab connector. The bottom smaller one works a little different;the white tab moves but it’s contrary.
Remove 15mm bolt/nut x2. Use wrench on top to brace. Watch out for what it’s pushing against. These are throw away fasteners. Bagged and tagged to compare to the ones I bought.
Pop ends out of spindle carefully pull rack out. Heavy but still fine for one person. Success !!
Attached Images

MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote