View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What does everyone say about any additional crazy NVH with the spherical joints? I'm considering doing all the arms on the rear and already have ZLE cradle bushings to install. I don't mind paying more for the better adjustability for the spherical joints, but I'm not sure I want to put-up with too much more noise if it's not worth it for my case. Will the poly-ends be better? I've used poly-ended arms from BMR before, so I'm comfortable using them now, but am concerned I'll just be irritated by NVH and cost to replace the rod ends.

I probably won't be tracking the car too much (as much as I'd want to, anyways), so that adjustability is probably not necessary for me. I'll do much more strip-time than any track time. Will these joints wear-out faster than the poly-ended arms? I've used BMR arms in the past, but not so many spherical-type joints - at least not so many arms/joints on the same car.
Do not use poly-bushed links in the rear suspension! Those links all have to move in more than one plane, but those bushings only allow free movement around their axis (the bolts that hold them in). The result is bind, and you don't want that. The factory rubber allows enough off-axis movement to avoid this, and spherical ends of course allow movement in all directions up to their limits of travel.

I think a lot of people have a mistaken belief that the factory links are somehow not good. All those links react tension and compression forces only, so their resistance to bending and torsion is irrelevant. Moving to spherical bearings will eliminate the squish of factory rubber bushings, but they will be noisier and they will tend to wear out with street use, so you'll be replacing the bearings from time to time. I don't know enough about drag racing these cars to say if you would benefit from them, but otherwise stick with the stock links and put your money into others. The toe links are very worthwhile for those who want to get more rear negative camber than the stock links allow. But you're not tracking or autocrossing your car, so you don't need them either.