View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Cito - what mods does your car have (tires, pads, etc)? I also used to get hard pedal in my 4th gen at autocross, so got a 350z!

I have not experienced it autocrossing the 2018 SLE (OEM tires, Hawk HP+ pads), but as Matt mentions, it sounds more likely with stickier tires and/or tires of non-OEM diameters.
And I agree with what other say about brake application. Old habits are hard to break.
Yep. Mods can definitely exasperate the situation. What no one ever wants to hear and examine is "What am I doing to cause the problem, as a driver?" A lot of "ice mode" situations are ones that can be driven around.

I was able to get "ice mode" in two different SS cars, years ago, and learned, the hard way (pun intended) to drive around it. With the 17 SS 1LE I have not had it ever occur. The 2019+ cars had some changes by GM, and are a lot less prone to the situation, but I have heard people able (as in, yes, you can drive the car to the point of getting it) to get "ice mode" in the newer cars.

The more you try and force the car to brake in not a straight line, the more you're gonna risk getting "ice mode". Braking harder in not a straight line will make it worse. Doing most of your braking in a straight line is the ticket. Brake pads with high coefficients of friction? Yep, you're going to make that situation even more probable. Tires a lot stickier than OE? Yep, you're going to make that situation even more probable. But you can have both if you learn to get most of your braking done in a straight line.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote