View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #547
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
Your post peaked curiosity so I asked my complex manager about the subject of charging stations a few minutes ago. My complex is owned by a company that owns other complexes in St. Louis, Oklahoma City my city Dallas/Fort worth and San Antonio. She told me that the owner has considered it but with lack of support by local and state governments the bill would fall on the tenants with increased rent and when brought up it was an overwhelming no from various property tenants. So unless federal or the Auto companies themselves want to foot the bill the properties for the time being will not be EV friendly.

That was what I received in response. Apparently this happened shortly before I moved in to the complex.
From my apartment experience landlords do as little as possible lol. Then again I was in an older building.

But even my friends in nicer newer buildings in the city, you know where they park? On the street, sometimes blocks away if they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It's easy to come up with reasons why it won't work today. And they are real. Buy then everyone claims it can't be fixed, when it can.

Today the technology exists to get 80% range in 15 minutes with the right charger. Now unless you are in a NASCAR pit crew, when I'm on a road trip a gas stop is 15 minutes to fill up, go inside and hit the restroom and get a soda or coffee or snack. If I can get 80% with a 300 mile range that is 240 miles between charges. My LaCrosse, with it's tiny tank, can probably get 300 miles between stops for gas. This isn't that big a deal.

And every day, people are working to improve this with battery and charging technologies.

As for rental and street charging? It's fixable but the demand isn't there. If apartments or rental properties start losing tenants for not having charging stations it will change. I have a friend who rented out the garage in his old apartment via an app on a per day basis. He got more money by having EV charging in that garage.

Also keep in mind there is a side purpose for EVs. They are farrrrrr superior for autonomous vehicles at L5. And for as much as everyone hates EVs for the lack of vibration and sound to enhance the driving experience, the hate for not having any controls is even higher here. Or should be, lol.
My problem with bringing up the problems of today, is at least in my own experience I see a lot of problems with the current electrical grid and don't see any improvements to it yet. The last major update I saw? They put a smart meter on the houses. Now granted I don't follow it as close as I do other things, but I just don't see the improvements being made that can sustain the rapid growth/push for EVs. I see the problems with the cars being rectified and improved but I don't see the improvements anywhere else yet.

On my normal commute to and from work, there is 3 charging stations that I know of. The community college has one on campus, neighbor at work down the street put one in and the local grocery store has one. I am sure there is more but on my direct routes that is all I know off. There is 5 gas stations between my office and the 4 miles between the highway. Once more charging stations appear I am sure that will ease concerns but I just don't see the supporting tech for the vehicles yet.

To me it's like Avatar james cameron had the script and screenplay ready but had to wait to make it for 15 years for technology to catch up so he could make it work. The tech in the cars is almost there, the supporting tech I don't see enough advancement there to match the push for EVs.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote