View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Had my car paint corrected and ceramic coated a few months back. I was told to wipe the dust off I just need some detail spray or waterless wash and microfiber cloth (along with a light touch). I pray alittle on the cloth(at 1st) and then onto the surface and go in 1 direction. Then I'll take another cloth and wipe up any extra from the spray. For the most part this works but in some areas I'm still getting very light "scratches". Of course it doesn't help its black paint.

Do I need to go to a softer cloth other than microfiber?
The Museum Rule: The less you touch a thing, the longer it lasts.

Self-healing paint protection film is practically the only way to avoid swirls on black paint. But since that is not your situation...

No matter how clean you think the cloth and paint are, there is ALWAYS some grit somewhere (paint, cloth or both) that will get dragged and create a swirl. The pinch-corners bullfighter style cloth dry is about the best you can do in the dry-dry scenario. But it is always still better to take a detailer dampened 500 GSM plush edgeless microfiber towel to do your final dry after a wash. Why? Because even a little lubrication is better than none.

Question #1: what kind of microfiber towel?

Question #2: Did you roll the towel upwards while wiping so that dirt/dust/grit is lifted away as you wipe?

Question #3: Did you fold the towel so that you never wiped more than once with the same portion of towel?

Suggestion: Use a >= 500 gram per square meter edgeless microfiber. Don't use the low-pile towels on paint. The depth of pile gives you some compliance to reduce spot-pressure from your fingers. Roll upward as you wipe. Fold after every wipe. This is the best you can do when wiping a towel.

Better than that: don't remove dust by wiping. Use a pressure washer. It's a black car, and 2 days is about MTBD (mean time between dirty). So you gotta wash it. With a hose. Waterless wash isn't good enough IMO because it requires wiping.

Last edited by Gunkk; 05-09-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote