View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Yes a little too big for PDR to get the dent all the way out. Most shops would use a dent puller to get most of the dent out, then use filler and repaint the entire fender. And from my experience a lot of them would partially spray the nearby areas- hood and door to get a "perfect" look. Some colors re harder to "perfectly" match than others. I would expect it to cost about 650-750. But shop around and go with a new fender if you feel better about it.

If it were me, I would have PDR get out as much as they could and try to do the work myself- sanding and a bit of filler, then paint, wet sand to blend, then clear coat and buff to blend everything in. You can do pretty good with a manual spray can- it's all about the wet sanding and blending in. Not for everyone but definitely the cheapest route to go. My GF's son did body work like that a lot at a restoration shop and he got pretty good at it. It's not perfect, perfect but pretty close.

Personally, I would go the route of PDR and see how it looks. It's the absolute least disruptive overall and leaves all of the factory-sprayed paint and such in place.

If the paint or clear is damaged "enough" to where it needs actual paint repair, you could then move on to something like what you described - have the last bits of the dent pulled/filled and then deal with spraying only that area on the panel itself, potentially preventing any blending onto adjacent panels and only having to blend -within- the panel, and clear of just the one panel itself.

If it's still something that doesn't sit well, then move on to replacing the panel all together and dealing with blending onto the adjacent panels.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote