View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
My (former) 2018 GT Premium with PP1, A10, and MagneRide was very controlled. The upgraded suspension and MR made a big difference on the GT. It wasn’t up to ZL1 level obviously but it was very good. I have no interest in modding factory suspension so a PP1 w/ MagneRide was a good choice for me. It was very capable. And like I used to say, with a few bolt ons and a bit of weight reduction it was very quick with the 3.55s.

I wouldn’t have sold my GT for an SS, but it was an easy decision to upgrade to the ZL1 as you know.
I forgot about the MR option. I feel like that is a must for the GT. And I also agree with your statement about moving laterally vs moving up. Unless you happen to have the bad luck of getting a GT or SS that has a lot of issues, and you have the option to trade in to the competing vehicle, then I do not think a switch from GT to SS or vice versa is worthwhile. However if you score a good deal for the higher trims (ZL1, GT350R, GT500) then it would be well worth the upgrade.

In my case, I wanted something different. The ZL1 comes out the box with such a high level of performance that after 4 years of owning one it kinda got dull to me. Same with the HC. Of course there are packages and stuff. But the GT is something that I can get my hands dirty with on a more personal level and choose more of how I want it to perform. I'll probably keep it for only a couple years after I boost it and then move on to something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
To be fair and clear, Blaq has a base GT and a ZL1. They are worlds apart so it is not a fair comparison. A base GT should be compared to an LT1 trim on the Camaro. Which is multiple levels below a ZL1 trim. Going the other way that’s like comparing a Camaro LT1 to a Shelby GT500, which will destroy the LT1 in every metric.

And like I said in my above post, I sold my 2018 GT Premium with all the performance goodies (PP1, MagneRide, A10, etc.) a few weeks ago after taking delivery of my ZL1 in March so I owned both at the same time as well. I wouldn’t have sold the GT to do a lateral move to an SS. Easy decision going to a ZL1 though.
I'll add that the only time it might be worth it to actually go from GT to SS or SS to GT is if going from M6 trans (SS/GT), A6 trans (GT), or A8 trans (SS) to the A10 trans of either car. The 18+ GT with A10 is really a step above any of the previous GTs. And the same goes for the SS with A10 in comparison to the older versions. The A10 really makes a world of a difference with these cars although even with the GT A10 you should still upgrade to the version that has DM at the very minimum and MRC to make it even better.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote