View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #127
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Here's what an EV should be used for to fit your example above. They make these now, but not available in the US. Gee, I wonder why. Your scenario above makes sense, except for one thing....the price. 40-50-60K and more for a commuter car? That is the economic non-sense we are forced to believe.

With the price of a new EV, you will never break even in gas savings in one or two life-times. Not including the cost of the electricity and the inevitable other road taxes and fees that EVs will soon have far and above gasoline costs. Electricity is no bargain. Ok evs, have no transmission, exhaust, etc. that ICE vehicles have. BFD. Where is the savings on the sticker price of new EVs?

I'd buy this thing below, let it charge (outside) on a common extension cord, and be good to go for a work trip, getting groceries, etc. the next day. No nation-wide government controlled charging infrastructure needed. But only if it's at the price they sell for...4,5, or 6K....Then I'll go "EV".

Attachment 1056366
I realize that it doesn't economically make sense for everyone. That's why I don't personally have one.

Electricity rate is generally quite a bit cheaper, though, and remember maintenance cost of a gas car with the oil changes and other fluid changes. Remember that not everyone DIY, and absolutely, if you don't drive many km every year, there won't be savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
You are assuming everyone will have a charger? What about those living in apartment complexes that haven't installed them yet? What if wife or family member took the car for the night and forgot to put it on charger overnight? What if you came late and don't have a fast charger then next morning you are in negative temperatures and range gets cut in half?

It's not true that the battery degradation is minimal, Tesla is trying to improve efficiency but you still will lose a chunk of your range within 2-3 years. In really cold climates the range is significantly worse.

It's true they are good for commuting, in the sense they provide instant torque and are better for the environment, but that's it for the time being. ICE vehicles are just as good if not better for commuting as well. I'm sure the EV tech will get better over time but we are working with what we have today.

I have no problem with people wanting an EV. I'd get a hatchback, sporty AWD EV in the future for daily driving. However, problem is they are forcing the industry this way, sports cars will get cancelled and forced to go EV. EV sport coupes/muscle cars will not match their original ICE experience. They lose range quite quickly if you drive aggressively and they can't track for longer periods. They will also be quite boring and there will be less to differentiate between EV sports coupes/muscle cars. If they make a brand new EV coupe or sport sedan or whatever, I am all for it. They should not kill what a Camaro, Mustang , Challenger and Charger are though.

They can kill all the CUV's/SUVS they want(that make up majority of sales) since those things come with 1.5l 4 cylinders nowadays and EV is a better application for those vehicles.
If you don't have a charger then no, don't consider one. Goes without saying. I am assuming people who buy one have a way to charge it at home. Also don't buy them if you live in the extreme cold. That's why I think Canadian government is being cute when they wanted to ban ICE across the country.

Plug-in hybrid solves your last two scenarios in the first paragraph. Not pure EV, sure, but close enough. The ICE is there just in case for those unexpected uses.

Battery degradation will probably depend on how much you drive. If you don't use much battery every day just for your usual commuting, you won't be cycling the battery as much as it won't degrade very quickly.

IMO hybrid is good for people who want more flexibility while still wanting to spend less on gas.

I also don't agree how quickly governments are pushing EVs without thinking about the implications of them. For a fun car, I would not consider an EV. That electric motor whining isn't nearly as pleasant to listen to as a V8.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote