Thread: Nitto 555RII
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #23
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I tested both versions at 23 psi, According to Dragy I 60ft a half tenth quicker and 0-60 is 2 tenths quicker on the 555r. The R2 break loose above 4500rpm when I try to put the throttle to the floor where the 555r would grab. On the street with a light first gear burnout, I am rolling into the throttle off the line. Log shows 40% throttle by 9mph, and 100% by 28 mph( So it's not like either tire dead hooks). This netted me 1.8 60ft and 3.1 0-60 with the 555r and 1.85 60ft with 3.3 0-60 on the 555r2. I have the air pressure lowered to 21psi now and will report back when I get a chance to try a couple digs. I did try a 30 roll from 2nd and they hooked as good as the 555r.

All that being said, for most people I would say the 555r2 is going to be a better all around tire even if it ends up having slightly less traction from a dig. The stiffer sidewall, higher speed rating, stabillity, and longer tread life make it worth the trade off for those that drive their cars daily.

They seem to be a nice improvement over the factory GY runflat that come standard on the SS. Much quieter and ride better with no noticeable loss in handling. I don't road course my car either but I have taken a curve at 75-80mph and they handled fine. The only complaint I have ever heard about the G2 is they don't have very good traction if you run them on the rear...but honestly no street tire wheel will with cars that are 550+ wtq. So far I am very pleased with the G2 up front and R2 in rear.

Good to hear man thanks for sharing. Let me know about those digs when you can. Also have you tried a first gear roll at 30 mph? Maybe even a 20 roll? Wonder if they would still hook. If they lose traction at those low speeds do the R2s recover quickly enough and take off well?

With the performance mods that you have to your SS it seems like your car is up there in power like the ZL1 if not more, so if those tires are hooking decently at your power level then it must say something.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote