View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. I have attempted to engage the brake and found that I actually did not. I would absolutely prefer a mechanical brake although I absolutely would not want it as a "pedal" as it is in my truck. With the M6, I use the brake quite a bit where in an automatic I do not. The mechanical brake arm is not only overall simpler to use but it also provides a visual indicator as to whether it has been engaged or not even when the car is off (you don't know the electronic version is engaged unless your dash is powered). But, I also understand that the mechanical arm version of a parking brake would result in a lot of lost space in all cars, including all of the A8/A10 versions of the car which are definitely the majority.
The thing is that if you flick the parking brake switch too quickly, it won't engage. You have to be a bit deliberate when you flick it. Probably some kind of safety feature so you won't accidentally engage it.

But yes, I would have preferred a mechanical parking brake where it's easy to see if it's engaged or not.

For people who go to tracks, the opposite of what OP described can happen. After a few laps, you don't want your parking brake to engage, or the brake pads can overheat and in some cases, burn the car down. You leave your car in gear and use wheel chocks to lock the car in place. Out of habit, though, you probably will engage the parking brake. Again, just takes time to raise the habit of double checking if the parking brake is in the state you want it to be in.

Oh, also, especially be careful if you have a 2.0T manual... The smaller displacement engine with lower compression ratio won't hold the car as well as bigger NA engines do if you don't engage your parking brake on a steeper hill. I recall there was a thread on the Accord forum where someone with a newer 2.0T manual Accord that rolled when parked in gear without parking brake engaged.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 09-23-2020 at 02:56 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote