View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #35
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
It has nothing to do with "lemon" batteries (very small number), it's all how you drive the car.

If you drive it regularly for longer trips you're fine. If it sits and/or shorter trips with more starts/stops (cranking a monster 6.2L) battery life is shortened dramatically unless you keep a good trickle charger on it all the time. This isn't rocket science
Battery Life and whether or not a battery gets fully recharged between uses are not the same thing.

AGM batteries are used because they are supposed to be able to provide more power to drive all of the electronics and such in the car, but the reality is that it shouldn't matter. When the car is running, the alternator should be able to provide ALL of that power and more as it needs to also be able to replenish the stored capacity in the battery. All that should be required is a battery with enough CCA to turn the motor over and the alternator should "take it from there."

I have 1500 miles on my car and have been running into strange issues that are 100% electrical that never should occur. This is due to the FACT that AGM batteries have a shorter lifespan than non-AGM batteries due to how they need to be charged (and not overcharged). I'm not confident that the electrical system in the car is designed to correctly match with an AGM battery in the first place. There are way too many stories of these batteries failing at 2-3 years old.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote