View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #22
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
That's not correct. It has little to do with the climate you live in. Again, the lower number in a multi-viscosity is the rating your oil has before it has been warmed up to operating temperature. Specifically, it is the nominal viscosity rating at 104F. Even if you live in Miami, that rating will apply to your first start of the day, and you'll benefit from much better flow rates after initial startup. I would say it's even more important in colder climates, but it's not unimportant even in warm climates, as long as you cold-start your car on a regular basis (like almost all of us do).[/QUOTE]

Since GM confirms 5W to be the correct specification in low ambient temps for the LT1 engine, which BtW has not changed its material since the introduction in the C7 2014, I cannot understand the issue with using this viscosity rating, especially in warmer ambient regions. The real-world advantage of the 0W oils in reducing engine wear in the long term should be negligible.
Talking about Group 3 Vs. Group 4 oils: Do you have any proof that the Exxon-Mobil stuff (0W40 ESP formula) is actually based on a Group 4 and not a Group 3 ("heavily hydro-cracked") fluid?

Mind you, hydro-cracking is THE industry standard and most oil manufacturers get their additive packages from Lubrizol, Dow, Ashland, Etc. anyway.
You can get extremely high quality oils which are Group3 (where the additive package is superior) than I.E. mediocre quality Group4 base oils (in which the additive package is not as good / efficient). Moreover, engine oils have designations, meaning: For a street driven, GDI engine for instance, you are much better off using an oil with improved detergent components, to clean sludge/carbon build-up effectively, while still maintaining sufficient lubrication properties.
On the other hand, if your engine is designated entirely for race/track usage and for short periods (oil being changed before each event), then the necessity for "cleanliness" and detergents becomes unimportant, compared to the high level of lubrication properties.

I would say that most people in this forum, predominantly use their cars on the street and therefore, oils such as Mobil1 ESP formula, Motul 8100 XClean, Valvoline MST, Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, and any Dexos2 / BMW LL-04, VW 505.01, MB 229.51, ACEA C3 for this matter, would serve this purpose well.
Most important! Change your oil frequently and keep it fresh.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote