View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #144
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

A lot of people confuse "no pedal" with over-heated brake fluid causing a very, very weak pedal. In the sudden moments of things going "oh $h!t" people's concentration typically become less sensitive over true zero pedal and a very, very weak pedal. I've been there, too, in another car, years ago and will admit it scared me to where I wasn't able discern true no brakes (zero; i.e. a line burst, whatever) from completely boiled over fluid. It was fluid and it was due to #1 reaching the thermal capacity of the brake system and #2 my inefficient braking techniques.
Very good points. Regarding a ruptured or burst brake line perspective, the car would typically pull to the opposite side briefly. "Good" brakes that get soft and or long as you mentioned is boiling the fluid in the calipers, not pad fade. I haven't seen any of these videos so I cannot speak to the circumstances these individuals experienced. However, it would seem taking an electronic (pre 2019 "Ice Mode") issue out of the mix. The root cause may very well be fluid related. Owing to more aggresive pads, possibly driving style, ambient conditions along with the track demands on a braking system. As well as the ability to shed thermal energy from the braking system.

To date I have hesitated going to an aftermarket pad in a ~3700lbs car capable of very high braking, cornering and acceleration for this very reason. I breifly had issues with RBF 600 boling and soft then long pedal. Switched to SRF with no further issues. These cars are great but you just can't get away from the physics of the situtation. As they say "there are no free lunches" and this certainly applies to these heavy monsters and the incredible limits available.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote