View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #143
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
If you do some digging into rs4eva's case on the C7 forum, there is a decent amount of information.

As far as Jackie's can, the fluid in that car was old and used in some prior track driving (this is mentioned in the video). In addition, I do not think you can conclude the same "no pedal" as Sam from Jackie's video.

A lot of people confuse "no pedal" with over-heated brake fluid causing a very, very weak pedal. In the sudden moments of things going "oh $h!t" people's concentration typically become less sensitive over true zero pedal and a very, very weak pedal. I've been there, too, in another car, years ago and will admit it scared me to where I wasn't able discern true no brakes (zero; i.e. a line burst, whatever) from completely boiled over fluid. It was fluid and it was due to #1 reaching the thermal capacity of the brake system and #2 my inefficient braking techniques.

In the end, honestly, the only vehicles listed that we can "confirm" the same issue as Sam is the other Camaro owner he spoke to (#4), to which none of us has much details on. The reason I am so active in here is because it is very easy to take someones word on "no brakes" and interpret it various ways, where in fact, most cases are probably people falling into the same category as I a few years ago = exceeding the thermal capacity of the brake system, either by the components altered or by driver technique error or both - often times pride comes in the way of accepting this fact. A lot can be assumed because there are variables...
Completely agree with your summation. Still, i do believe, that mixing extreme high torque pads, with fairly average fluid, no additional cooling and then trying to get the most of the car in a competitive environment is not a good idea. My 2 cents, that's all.

Bottom line, we probably will never know what happened exactly. Apart for the outcome.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote