View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #237
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Let me start with the cost aspect first. Chevy is already rumored to be developing an 5.5L N/A FPC engine for the C8 Z06. If this rumor is true, that engine is already developed, so cost would only be for the intake/exhaust modifications to fit the Camaro and getting the emissions/economy certified.
Please, a LT3 engine from mild say 6.2 480 HP to wild 7.0 cam in cam 570 HP maybe feasible as the last OHV harah and actually be used in the Vette and Camaro.

But a DOHC is a completely new engine for the Camaro and there is NO cost justification for it as the chassis is already traction limited. Plus I'm still not buying this smaller size DOHC engine that "fits" in the Camaro. Ford had decades of turkey SOHC and DOHC engine designs and arguably the latest 5.0 is not any "better" vs the LT1 / LT2 / LT5 / LT5. Ford (which should be no surprise) did what Yamaha has been doing for 50 years now, raise the intake port to make power NA and that means the engine gets EVEN BIGGER. So if GM goes with a "small" external dimension 5.5 DOHC it will have a extremely compromised port design and that means it will ONLY be good under FI where boost makes up for port flow (still got 4 valves and variable valves timing). But is makes for a shizznet NA engine.... just ask Ford going back to what 1994 ish??? Just about the time they contracted with Yamaha to build their SHO V6 and V8s, heck they could have hired me for pennies on the tens of thousands of dollars, I've been porting and racing Yamaha heads since the Toyota 2TG and 3TG engines (early 70s). You want a DOHC to flow? raise the port.... not "easy" on a V engine, especially if you now have a hot valley and the intake is now down by the fenderwells. Look at the new GM hot valley V engines, the intake manifold looks like an exhaust manifold (no surprise there) it must breath like an two pack a day 90 year old great grand pa, the engine has two turbos and in fact the smaller intake volume is not a bug it is a feature as the velocity hence response is REALLY good. But to pretend that you going to get this thing to breath like a Ferrari just because of the DOHC moniker belies a lack of engineering appreciation.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/03...lly-announced/

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

AND, since the Gen6 Camaro program has been extended, there is time for the Z06 to come out in MY22 and a Z/28 in MY23. As for fit, going to a lower displacement means it would probably fit, but we can't be sure at this point.
What part of a 5.0 Mustang's completely filled engine compartment don't you get????? I mean really? It has been going on 3 decades now that Ford's answer is UNWORKABLE given the Camaro and upto the C7's hood lines. Here a Ford: (caution GM folks as this may burn your eyes as well as dull your wits an no A/C and no warranty and a hideous hood bulge. )
Attached Images

Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 07-20-2020 at 02:09 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote