View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Camaro glass is disheartening to me. My car is garaged. I'm OCD about paint correction. I have PPF and spend more time on keeping her pristine than some may consider healthy. Shes never seen winter, snow, cold temps and is stored 6 months a year. Never been driven on a gravel road and I avoid driving her in the rain as much as possible. Weekends and trips. I rarely ride someones ass and try to stay away from roads under construction. I live in a rural area and don't drive in the 'big city' except when passing through. All that being said when you ride in my car at sunset you'll ask about the 'overspray' on my windshield. Sigh. It's not overspray. It's rock chips. I had a friend ask me once with how much time I spent to keep my paint beautiful why I didn't take the time to get the tree sap off the windshield.

I can only imagine what other people deal with and I've worked hard to get more than 10k miles on her in 24 months. Always been ceramic coated and waxed.
I have 75k+ on my '15 Silverado, and I'm quite disappointed in GM glass as a result. It's pitted badly everywhere and is just frustrating to have to look through when driving. That truck sees all weather conditions, though, and I know that at least part of the issue is because I live in the rust belt (dealing with various crap on the roadways at all times of year, but sand during the winter is horrid).

Like you, my car is taken care of in whatever ways I can including staying out of the rain, thorough drying after a wash, being washed within 24 hours of driving at night (to remove bugs from the paint), not following closely behind others, etc. For the glass, I want to keep it in as good condition as I'm able knowing full well that I can have it changed out under insurance if it ever reaches a point where I feel it's just difficult to see through easily.

My house has well water and I get water spots on the glass after washing (even more than typical because of minerals in the water). I've used 0000 steel wool after the last couple of washes and it seems to do a very good job of removing those water spots to about 90-95% levels. Still, I'd like to get some ideas of how to treat / seal the glass and then clean it so that it is as spot free and truly clean as possible.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote