View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The M22 was a great transmission in its day but by today’s standards it’s a toy. The gears were not precision engineered by any means compared to the modern Tremec, so while you could slam it hard there was a mile of play in the gear shift. Also our Tremecs are built to handle about 560-600 hp and the same ft/lbs torque. That would destroy a Muncie. Even the beefiest SS396 or 454s in the day were actually only putting out about 360 hp in SAE Net measurement. Those 400+ hp ratings used in the day really were SAE gross. They say those engines were underrated but they weren’t measuring in modern SAE net. The 6th gen Camaro 6.2 LT1 is rated at 455 hp NET - that’s real horsepower.
This is true and not true, most guys put headers on day one and then you are dealing with 450+ HP engines with 500 ft -lbs and it is torque that breaks transmissions. Don't get me wrong I love my M6, especially with my Hurst shifter (best mod ever). But to drive a M22 behind a 396 was pure lust, that trans was butter. I also own a Integra Type R , know to be the best trans / engine combo kown to man, the M22 behind a LT1 or 396 is a close second..with good shifter of course.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 02-25-2020 at 06:39 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote