View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #406
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yep back then they definitely just let the aftermarket take care of things. I don't want to bring sales into it but it didn't seem to matter to them because they were selling them hand over foot. The F-body cars dominated performance wise, but towards the end of them the Mustang was outselling the Camaro and Firebird combined. From a business standpoint if it ain't broke don't fix it.
This had a lot to do with the issues at the St. Therese Plant in Quebec, Canada. By the time the LS was put in the 4th gen in 1998, GM already knew they were killing the Fbody.

During that time (I was 18 in '98), if you stepped into any GM showroom to look at a Camaro, they were rare to see. Even then, the salespeople would try to sell you a Cavalier or Monte Carlo FWD POS...it was brutal. GM had already completely given up on the Fbody so it was easy for Ford to carry on without much thought and just sell Mustangs like crazy (most were base V6 models).

The plant was closed, crushed, and land sold off. That ended their rights to build F-bodies for GM.

I have a lot of stories from those days after I bought my 1999 SS M6, and meeting tons of modded GTs and Cobras. They were not happy with the results of running my stock 4th gen.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote