View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #28
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I finally got in the front SS 1LE brake line to dissect.

If you're not interested in the details, here are the key points:
-There is no steel reinforcement in the OEM brake lines.
-The front brake lines on the SS 1LE (and likely ZL1 and ZL1 1LE) look to have more reinforcement than the rear lines.
-Some stainless steel braided brake lines will likely not provide a noticeable improvement over the OEM brake lines (mostly the front).

Thanks for putting that together mountain

I have spoken with Goodridge early on and is what actually got them to make a SS1LE set as they are different from an SS/ZL1/ZLE

I found a statement from them on a blog and did some calculations on it.

Quote:
Goodridge found that standard OE-type rubber brake hose expanded by 0.136 cc/ft at 1,000 psi, 0.150 cc/ft at 1,500 psi, and 0.290 cc/ft at 2,900 psi, whereas the company's PTFE braided stainless hoses expanded by only 0.0002932 cc/ft at 4,000 psi.

Their stainless lines virtually have no expansion at our braking pressures. I have measured front and rear caliper pressures while on jack stands(engine running) max I got was 1200 PSI front and 800PSI Rear.

Based on goodridge's data and some "quick" calculations I was coming up a combined (F&R) pedal deflection of about .200" on "Standard OE type rubber".

It would appear we have something much better than the "standard OE rubber" so our actual deflection number would be smaller.

I have not yet put the goodridge front lines on my car so I cannot comment on pedal differences.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote