View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogen View Post
I have one. It doesn't feel much different than the A8 I test drove and I doubt it's faster. One thing I find a little annoying when using the paddles is that the first three gears are super long (3rd tops out at over 90 mph) and then they get really close, so if you want to cruise you're pulling the upshift paddle 4 - 6 times to get to a good cruising gear. Part of this is the goofy ratios in the transmission itself, but I think part of why it's annoying is that it uses the same final drive ratio (2.77) as the SS but without the midrange torque (or the limited slip diff WTF). Downshifting isn't too big of a deal if you want the lowest gear- you just hold the downshift paddle and it'll put you in the lowest available.

Otherwise I think the automatic modes are comparable. The big benefit and the reason I waited for a 2020 is I haven't heard of any reports of the transmission shudder that was so common with the A8 transmissions.
Thank you for the clarity! I’ll have to find a day to go down to my dealership and test one just for fun
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote