View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #3836
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
1-2 Tenths in a quarter mile race is not anything special between two competing cars. Not to me. The 1st Gen Coyotes were about 2 tenths faster than the 5th Gen Camaros due to having less weight and a SRA. However the Camaro was and is the better car. Then for 2015 the GT gained weight when it went to IRS and got slower despite a HP jump. In 16 the Camaro slayed the GT by over half a second. So the GT got heavily revamped and is back in a 1-2 tenth lead. But this is all straight lines and like I said, anyone can build a fast straight line car. That is why the WRXs, Evos, and 370Zs were keeping up with the Mustang GTs for a while. Building a car that can track well is what determines the superior car these days. More specifically, building a car that can track AND works well in the quarter mile AND you don't have to break the bank is what sets cars apart.

So if the GT is faster than the SS by 1 tenth then that is hardly praiseworthy these days. I don't care if it is a GT or GT*, the Mustang is faster. But again, it is only by 1-2 tenths if that. That means a lot to people like newmoon but ultimately it is such an insignificant amount that you'd have to be petty to even bring it up.

Ford and Dodge's problem is that they can only keep up in one aspect and that is straight lines. Once curves are throw in the Dodges are MIA and the Fords either cost a fortune, lose a significant amount of straight line performance, or overheat. The Camaros and Corvettes however continue to do everything extremely well which is notable. Which is why I say that GM really has no competition. Not when the closest thing to compare to them from Ford and Dodge usually costs several thousands more and are limited in what they can do.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except the part about GT or gt* not mattering. They do because there is quite a large discrepancy between a GT a10 pp1 and a GT m6, over half a second no doubt. So while the "gt*" is possibly the fastest by a tenth or two it is not across the board for the mustang gt. This matters to guys who look for manual transmission cars because at that point the tables turn and the ss is 1 to 3+ tenths faster, and it matters to guys who have a a10 pp1 like Idaho because they have the fastest straight line car in the mustang line up and quite possible the whole pony car segment. That tenth or two is bragging rights, especially if the car is worse at every other performance metric lol. I have friends and family with m6 GTs and those with the pp1 vs the base know they have the bragging rights with their 3.73s, for car guys it's all about splitting hairs lol.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote