View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #24
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Which pads destroyed your calipers? Gloc?

I'm starting to see why you run things stock, it's a lot cheaper, easier/simpler and it all works together, almost like it was meant or or something...
I think you're onto something here

If you managed to lock up stockers (or presumably engage ABS), than dont go to a more aggressive pad, but continue to work on your driving and better laps will come!

"Superior" rotor is a rather subjective term imo. Superior HOW? More metal mass (better cooling), better metallurgy (less cracking, longer life), other? Surprised AP Racing wasnt mentioned. In any case, to suggest that Brembo ranks dead last is a ridiculous proposition based on my own first hand experience, as well as how many tod dog manufacturers and pro race teams use them.
Moreover, I am not aware of anyone ever splitting a rotor on any gen6, or going off because of brake fade on stock set up.

As far as i know only DBA makes discs that fit our hats. For ZL1 i think you'd need to buy a whole assy incl their hat. Jury is out if they are better than stock and likely the jury is not coming back any time soon (because of countless variables involved in arriving at an objective comparison). And of course they cost more...

Usually, folks change brake systems because:
1. Current rotors split (longevity issue)
2. They want to reduce rotating mass, while chasing this last tenth (focus on performance vs longevity = big wallet).
3. They want better heat management (bigger rotors for more aggressive pads).
4. They have too much money and/or want to impress their cars and coffee friends

Usually those with long HPDE seasons focus on longevity, as this hobby is hard on a wallet no matter what. Usually those folks focus on maximizing their seat time vs looking at a parked car with a $10k BBK and expensive replacement parts. Those that race, may use different criteria as mentioned above. Pro teams use completely different criteria (and budgets). Note that if you purchase a BBK you will likely be at a mercy of that manufacturer for replacement parts and their prices.

Bottom line, you have 6 days behind your belt, which means you still have a very long road ahead of you learning wise. You almost bettered your PB by a second, which is HUGE (kudos! - you'll get it next time!).
So...WHAT PROBLEM EXACTLY ARE YOU TRYING TO ADDRESS WITH DIFFERENT PADS?

PS As usual Norm's responses are spot on

Last edited by TrackClub; 08-30-2019 at 10:43 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote