View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Good to hear from you Sean!
But, what is the Forum multi track record holder doing with stock pads??? Just kidding of course, lol!

But, there seems to be a general propensity to go with a highest torque possible these days. Damn the torpedoes like tires, balance, driver skill and component longevity. Surely, putting a top dog pro race pad on, must automatically translate into faster laps, on a street car, with an amateur behind the wheel, no?

It used to be that XP10 was a cat's meow!
But now all new development and marketing seems to centre around the highest torque possible.
Soon folks will be boiling SRF! But there are some exceptions: like Pagid. Most of their pro level race pads are hardly over .50 MU. Yet, Corvette Racing team uses them. Blue, to be exact. Then again, what do they know, eh?

On the subject of the stock compound vs DS2500: they are extremely close and nobody really knows how they differ. Ferodo says both are just below their full race pad designation. Of course race pad means full slicks, full cooling, proper sized rotors to deal with heat...and little consideration to component longevity beyond a race. Not a season...
What is known, is that the stockers are derived from a DS family, which actually offers higher torque vs DS2500.
And, the latter cost about 30% more vs the stockers (Rockauto vs KNS). Personally I'd try them if they offered more longevity. But i am yet to meet a pad that lasts longer than 5 or 6 days regardless of make. So why pay more? The exception being ST43 but that binary on/off bad boy is beyond my talent (and heat tolerance).

So there you have it: my rant is over now
Cheers!

Ps Seen the latest Rd Atlanta fast lap vid? A dude in SS 1le on street tires and "track day" pads beat a prior record posted by a ZL1 1LE on Pirelli slicks. Great wheeling, including textbook **trail braking**. That's how you go fast: keep her balanced on the limit. But that wont happen without feeling the grip. And to feel it, one must invest in seat time. It really is that simple.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote