View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #193
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I not a hater but each has their on taste in cars and since you posted here on the forum I'm sure you figured that you would have people that like it and justs didn't care for the design. I will add that if this was a spy photo from one of the mags being posted that GM was bulding a new Camaro I got a feeling it would get even more harsh. JMHO

That being said thanks for posting your version but, I'm not a fan. Looks like as some have said "an 80s Monte Carlo."

As far as what the Camaro was built for.. Well it was built to be a less expensive version of the Corvette and compete with the other pony cars. It was from the start built to have a track purpose as part of design. Just check out the ad below. I think that kind of says it all.

Price for a 1967 Camaro base was around $2,572 inflation calculator $20,000.00 today dollars Actual Real staring price $25,000.00

So really the pricing is not far off based on inflation and adding in all the standard technology

That ad is from 1968, and by then things had changed quickly. Remember this was back when they updated models every year. Here's a couple of ads from '67 that show the original marketing and price of the entry level Camaro. It was only $2,466.

Name:  1967 Original ad.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  60.3 KB
Name:  1967 Camaro ad.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  112.7 KB

Adjusted for inflation in today's dollar value it would be $18,663.

Name:  67 Camaro inflation.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  110.8 KB

Just for comparison, here's what the Corvette cost in 1967 ($4,240) and in today's dollars it would be $32,088.93 which was very expensive back then. That was more than a house cost.

Name:  67 Vette inflation.png
Views: 270
Size:  166.2 KB

Here's something interesting. Don't you find it interesting that in your mind, my design reminds you of an '80s Monte Carlo, when in fact they're nothing alike?

Name:  86 Monte Carlo.jpeg
Views: 230
Size:  80.8 KB
Name:  86 Monte Carlo SS.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  194.5 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R9c 2019-7.png
Views: 243
Size:  438.7 KB

Apparently people don't read what I write because they keep protesting something that's not what I'm saying. I want GM to ADD a new pony car; not replace the Camaro with my concept. I recognize that today's technology makes cars better than it was even possible to make in 1967, so adjusting for that, I'm proposing a NEW entry-level pony car at a starting price of $24,990. Turbo 4, basic safety features. Rear-wheel drive. Upgrades can include a turbo 6, upgraded interior. MAYBE an RS option, but primarily it would be a sporty consumer passenger car. If it caught on and people wanted more, that could be added in the following model years.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote