View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
I'm a little late to this thread but I want to clear up some of the very incorrect data that's been posted for anyone who may stumble across it in the future. First and foremost, the oil pumps in all LT1's are the same being either a single stage (used in the wet sump configuration) or 2 stage (used in the dry sump configuration). They are all variable displacement and feature a solenoid operated flow control feature. Submerged? I'm not sure what that is referencing as all Gen 5 oil pumps mount up front on the crankshaft like the previous LS series.

The primary difference from platform to platform is the oil pan. On wet sump applications it is changed for various reasons but will always maintain a pickup that is positioned at the optimal height above the bottom of the pan. This does not, however, account for the different capacities between platforms as that is driven off the depth of the pan itself.

The oiling system utilized in the Gen 5 small block is pretty robust and fairly advanced with the variable output and piston pin oilers but is still just an oiling system. OP I'm glad you got your car fixed by GM, I think these situations are a good reminder to all of us to pull that dipstick and check the lifeblood of the engine.

Last edited by Deakins; 01-18-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote