View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrogdor22 View Post
Less than a year ago, I purchased a new battery for my car. A couple of weeks ago, that battery died and I replaced it with a new one. My car had trouble turning over for a few days before it couldn't even make it one full revolution. Thinking it was the alternator, I got a jump and took the car to Autozone to get tested.

They hooked their tester up, and the tester showed a bad battery. Unlikely, but it's under warranty and free to replace, so I did that. They gave me a new battery off the shelf. It wouldn't turn one full revolution again. They used their tester, which again showed a bad battery. Then they took another battery off the shelf, tested it as good, and then I put it in my car. The car started fine and I drove home.

This morning the car started and I drove around for a bit, but noticed some odd behavior: according to the voltage gauge on the 4-pack cluster, the battery had 13 volts when I started. Then after a few seconds of idling, it dropped to 11 or so, then went back to 12.5. I drove around while watching the gauge and it fluctuated between 12.5 and 14, but didn't seem to be in relation to RPM.

Most of these symptoms scream "bad alternator". Except that A) their tester showed the alternator was fine, and B) the car wouldn't start with one brand new battery. Maybe their tester is full of shit and one of the batteries they gave me was bad? What do you guys and girls think?
Couple of thoughts 1)How long after the cam install did the battery die ... if shortly then maybe serpentine belt/ tensioner reinstall issue 2)Do you have an underdrive pulley ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote