View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
1st Ever Track Day

I'm looking to run either Charlotte's ROVAL and/or Dominion Raceway in Northern Virginia next month and after viewing all the threads. I like to make this one to encompass everything possible.

1) I'm at 2300 miles of this writing so I am about to get my oil changed. If I decide to put 5w-40 instead of the usual 5w-30 in my 18 SS 1LE is the 5w-40 ok for daily driving since that's what I do most with the car.

2) if I go with the -2.0 front 1.5 rear camber settings is leaving those adjustments dialed in ok for street use without putting extra wear on my Summer Only Goodyear's

3) With the car still be fairly new, it sounds like the stock brakes pads should hold up on at least one track run unless I'm diving bombing corners like hell. What are the best pads for street/track use? The stock pad brake dust I read about is worse than I thought. I'm not heavy on the brakes at all and the dust is annoying, makes the wheels especially the fronts look rusted even from a distance after a few days.

4) Even in my old 96 v6 Camaro with a 5 speed I never did rev match downshifting so I use active rev match a lot and found downshifting between 1500 and 1000 RPMs doesn't buck the car/bog down the motor but i don't want to run Active Rev Match and Traction Control since it seems like most others don't to get the best feel for the track and the car overall. From the videos I've seen, is it best to just shift the gear and blip the throttle during the throw or hold neutral for a sec and blip the throttle while still in neutral then go into the desired geared?

5) For the long term for year round driving, what would be some good tires to invest in for both street and track use? Mind you as of right now I probably will only run about 5-10 track days a year at most.

6) I'm definitely changing the brake fluid to either DOT 4 or SPF 600, is there a better daily driving preference between the two? Whatever I put in the brake lines I like to keep there after the first track day if possible.

Thanks for any/all input. I'm trying to be cautious the first time out and not wreck a car that took me 25 years to finally buy something like this on my own.