View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #12
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I haven't seen a whole lot of issues with the MT82 trans. I hear people complain about it...just like I hear people complain about the SS 8 sp trans. But I'm not sure how founded those complaints really are. Buddy of mine is pushing over 800 RWHP on his 15 GT...boost, cams, LTs, GT350 IM, etc all on the stock shortblock and M6 trans. No issues soo far. The Gen 3 Coyote tho, I'm not sure how reliable they are but I think time will prove that they can handle a lot. I think it might be more that these guys are super excited about the 18s that they're pushing them further than they should. But we'll see all in due time. What I've seen so far is that they're hitting over 800 RWHP on boost with nothing else done.
The ongoing problems with the MT82s are plastered all over the web. Grinding and lockout issues seem to be the norm. Now with the 2018s, they are still grinding, but breaking shift forks due to a design change. There will always be owners that luck out a get one that works as it should. Still, there's a reason Ford put a TR6060 in the GT500.

The Camaro's A8 deserves the bad rep regarding the shudder. No argument there. They may have done something on the 2018s to help, but it's too early to tell. Hopefully, they got it right with the A10.

Regardless of engine though, if I'm going to to spend thousands to boost, I'd do it right - build it from the bottom up. Playing Russian Roulette with the engine can end up costing the same or more in the long run, IMO.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote