View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #70
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
A 5.4L DOHC engine won't necessarily be lighter then the LT4 which is about 530 pounds not to mention won't necessarily produce 540BHP. The old LT5 engine was about 600 pounds so if you want them to just stick a DOHC head on the Gen V SBC then expect that amount of weight taking off a few pounds. Also GM just generally doesn't tune its engines to the point where it will make 100BHP/L which I know is what you based that about 540BHP rating on.

Here is the thing, GM can take their 6.2L motor with the head and cam package and make that 540BHP on a lighter and more compact design then a DOHC head on an LT1 engine can pull off making it the superior choice for track use.
I don’t care about hp/liter, I based it on the fact that the C8 will be introduced with an LT1 derivative expected to make around 500hp and that said derivative will be replaced by a DOHC V8 with an unknown displacement. The DOHC engine would be an improvement vs the OHV engine, so it must receive more power. 40hp is a reasonable improvement considering the possibility of a higher redline and dual injection.

The original LT5 was designed 30 years ago, and technology has changed vastly since then. GM said that Cadillac’s new Twin-Turbo V8 is lighter than the LT4, so a similar engine without the turbochargers and added cooling should be lighter than the LT4. The DOHC engines will be smoother, more efficient, and higher revving than the LT1. A heads/cam package LT1 chugs a lot of fuel, from what I understand, and it would never feel as smooth as a DOHC V8. I want that heads/cam LT1 in a Z/28, not a Stingray.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote