View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
a143gsxr

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I mounted my R888R's this past weekend and filled up with E85 (E60) to see how they'd do. I didn't launch from a dig, just made some highway pulls from 2nd on up.

The good...

First off, they grip and can handle the power well. First impression is that you need to get some heat in them but that's not actually the case. Once you burn off that new tire coating you realize how well they work. I've driven with them twice now on consecutive cold mornings (low 40's) and there's nothing to worry about. No need for a burn out to warm them up, they're fine even if you drive aggressively right off the bat. You can make them slip if you try, but it's predictable. I may need to play with my PSi a little bit to find their optimal inflation point for my car. Right now I've got them at 37 and the car doesn't feel as precise as it did back when I had my old Pilot Super Sports on. Much, much better than DR's though at highway speeds. No complaints with their performance.

The not-so-good...

Good God, they are LOUD - like tractor trailer loud. In all my life I've never owned a tire that's made this much road noise. Around town they're not bad, nothing to complain about. Take the car on the highway and you'll find yourself checking your rear view mirror to see if there's a fire truck behind you. The faster you go, it sounds like a siren. I took my son for a ride (sits in back) and I couldn't make out what he was saying to me unless he raised his voice. If you put the windows down, stereo turned up almost all the way, and NPP open with my ARH full long tube system - and you still hear the tires wailing. No exaggeration, I would not be surprised if a car driving next to me would hear them inside their cabin, even with their radio cranked up.

I'm not sure yet if I'd buy them again - leaning toward no right now. I'm definitely going to keep them until they're worn out and I'll probably try Sport Cup 2's next. Even with the Toyo discount code and price that I got them at, the R888R's are not so inexpensive that I'd say they're worth what you have to put up with. I definitely need to drive with them more to see if the good outweighs the bad. The "bad" though is really as bad as everyone says it is.
I just did Pilot Cup 2's in 325-30-20 on the rear and make close to your power. These things don't slip. No noticeable noise either. Great tire. Are you concerned with the rear axles and the drap strip full power launch with launch control as I am?? lol. I don't think these Cup 2's are going to slip at all and therefore will 700HP shred axles?

Stephen
a143gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote