View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Let me put it this way.....I just took my SS 1LE completely stock with the G& SC 3 to Lime Rock, and ran totally consistent lap times in the 1.02.xx, best 1.02.02.

On my C7 Z51 on PS4 (400 lbs lighter, lower C.G., much better weight distribution, and a vehicle that I track for 3 years), my lap times were most often in the high 1.00.xx and low 1.01.xx.

That means my Camaro 1LE on GY 3 was ˜1sec slower than a C7 Z51 with a much better power to weight ratio, which would be a lot faster on the same tires.

Based on the above experience, I'd say the GY SC3 is about 1sec/min of lap time faster than PS4. So ˜3 sec faster at VIR, ~8 sec faster at the N'ring, ˜1.5 sec faster at Laguna Seca, etc.

To me that is inconsequential on a track day. What I care about more how many $$$/track day each tire will cost (life) and how consistent they are. The PS4s can overheat and start losing grip very fast if you push them. I pushed the GY SC3 for 7 straight laps towards the end of the session/day and only the outside F/R got a hint of overheating with some sidewall "crunching" but grip was still super high. PS4s you have to drive with a lot less slip or they over cook.

P.S. I love PS4s. Not knocking the tire at all. It is a great general purpose/sporty tire. But on track the GY SC3 seems to be much more consistent and able to handle the slip angle.
I can say with my recent run at Big Willow the G3's OEM stock tires were awesome did not get too greasy when pushed hard out into turn 8.. I had the 2015 1LE and had ran the G2's, Hankook RS3's they both tend to get a bit greasy after 4 good hard laps. The Nitto 555 G2's were a little less grip but did not fade to being as greasy and I would compare that to PS4s.

It's all about the $$$'s for me too.. so with that being said the OE will a top choice for me... until I decide to get 19" wheels and dedicated track tires like the Toyo's.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote