View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #46
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabucs4 View Post
Has anyone zl1 felt like it’s floating left to right when flooring at high speeds say 50+?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted4life View Post
Yes I've noticed that as well. Not sure what it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_76 View Post
A10 2018 same feeling....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted4life View Post
I feel it and I'm on stock tires. I figured it was the tires following the grooves in the pavement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress View Post
Yes, same here. Your description is spot on. Gets spooky on a narrow road. I've been trying different tire pressures and will check alignment next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I have that situation as well. I am about the move the rear bar one link forward as the manual says to see if this gets sorted out. I want to punch it at 70 mph and be confident that all is well. Manual for the ZL1 1LE says one link forward helps cure oversteer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post
100% have felt this and the first few times it happened I puckered up pretty good. It’s a dramatic feeling and really seems like the car is just about to lose control. Stay in it and it goes away, but it makes the first 1/2 second of full throttle pretty scary.

I figured it was tire sidewall flex. Really would like to get this issues resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
Mine does this - feels to me like the ELSD and TC as others have said. There's really nothing else it could be. It's an instantaneous back-and-forth of the rear that lasts for 1/2-1 second at WOT or hard acceleration while the car is already moving. It sorts itself out after that.

Keep in mind we are dealing with GM-level refinement and calibration of a complicated system trying to manage 650 ft-lbs, not Italian-supercar-level refinement and calibration. Either the calibration was rushed, the engineers didn't encounter this scenario during development (unlikely), or the processing of I/O from/to the ELSD unit/TC system just isn't happening fast enough (processing is too slow). It'd be great if there were an updated calibration to take care of this, but I haven't heard of anything. Then again, if it's not the calibration but is instead the processing speed that's the problem, nothing but swapping ECU components will fix that.

It's never felt out of control to me, but was unnerving the first few times I went WOT from a roll and didn't expect it.

I've felt mechanical diffs do this on the dragstrip in the past, but usually it's WAY more pronounced and doesn't go away, and with big drag tires and big sidewalls, things can get out of control quickly. Hence why we have spools and Waveloc/similar for high-hp cars accelerating hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwiegand View Post
Also A10 and do get the same feeling. I've chalked it up to lack of grip, even at 50+, at WOT and the car compensating with traction control and ELSD slip. Turning off the nannies would answer the question but I, for one, would be hesitant to try this except for on a very empty and very wide road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
Happened with OEM tires and the Michelin PSS's when I put them on. Just feels like the car is tramlining like crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
My car's done this since I first accelerated hard after break-in. 8,000 miles later it still does it. A-10, stock tires. Other's have reported similar problems on different threads as well.

For whatever it may be worth, I was really nervous about driving the car at the Texas Mile and reaching speeds of 174 mph with the car having that "issue". I've got to say that I ran it about 8 times and never once had the feeling. Back home, it's right back to having the issue you describe.

For that reason, I've attributed it to a combination of high horsepower and poor road condition where the car is tramlining...

I was hoping the Michelin's would help too, but was disappointed to see one poster has them and is experiencing the same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlsmoku View Post
mine does it as well - stock tires/wheels. I like others have said believe its all the electronic traction control options. if you roll into it, there is no problems at what ever speed you want (to me meaning its not a tire size issue), but if you stab it the steering can be undesirable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
I've felt this as well. 100% stock and A10. I've felt this before on other cars and have always thought it was due to the suspension geometry changing due to the hard acceleration and minor road irregularities. I know running it in track mode helps, but it still gets squirmy from time to time. Not always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I’ve felt this as well on the stock tires. It’s definitely unsettling and doesn’t seem “normal”. I put my car up on our alignment machine and dialed it in a few weeks ago, but I don’t think it eliminated this sensation. It may have reduced it, but I’m not totally sure.

It does almost feel like something with the E-diff. It would be great if a software update could get rid of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Mine has done this “wig-wag” feeling on a cold day with a little less air pressure in the rear with a passenger present. We were both “WTF” is that? All nannies were on in sport mode. At the track this week at 160mph it was rock solid...who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
I have experienced this several times at the track. But it's not very consistent and would be hard to repeat. I am thinking it has something to with the surface of the road maybe? I have been on other roads (Westpark Toll) in Mexico making a lot higher speed runs and never felt the rear end getting loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
You're not the only one. Any WOT run the backend floats around it seems. I'm taking it in for an alignment and to check the front sway bar end links and will report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicD View Post
Actually I am pretty sure I felt the same thing the other day when I rolled into it, not out of control or anything like that but it just didn't feel "planted" and it felt different. Maybe I will get underneath it and check the torque on the rear suspension bits because it's all stock.
Quoted just to see how many in this thread experienced this.