CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   First post and climate control question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513877)

nx5nx6 11-20-2017 10:13 AM

First post and climate control question

Howdy, y'all. First post here. Just picked up a 2016 2SS with 5400 miles on it a couple weekends ago (for a pretty smokin' deal). Loving the car so far!

I've searched these forums, and though I've read a ton of threads about climate control problems, I haven't found anything specific like my issue, so I thought I'd see if some of you folks can replicate it.

Here's what happens:

Get the car up to operating temperature. Put climate controls on:

Auto=off
A/C=off
Normal defrost (not quick defrost)=on
Floor vents=on
Dash vents=off
Sync=on
Recirculation can be on or off
Fan any speed, usually have it on notch 2 or 3 from bottom

Set the temperature to where you just start getting warm air out both the top and bottom vents. Drive for a while. Does cold air start coming out the top vents, but warm at your feet, without changing the temperature?

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K....

Cameron27 11-20-2017 12:23 PM

nx5nx6 11-20-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameron27 (Post 9982446)
Can’t say I’ve noticed any differences in air temperature between vents, but I haven’t reached out to check.

Don't even have to put my hand up, can feel cold air blowing on my face!

nx5nx6 11-21-2017 08:58 AM

Hmm, no one...?

SSJ455 11-21-2017 09:17 AM

I have noticed a slight difference as if the air temp drops a bit but I just turn up the temp and it is ok. It happens from time to time but nothing that gets me concerned.

nx5nx6 11-21-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJ455 (Post 9983489)
I have noticed a slight difference as if the air temp drops a bit but I just turn up the temp and it is ok. It happens from time to time but nothing that gets me concerned.

Yeah, mine has a drastic difference, and the temp control is wacky. It's either hot or cold, no in between, and changing it as much as 1 degree changes it from cold to hot. What's more, it changes on its own. It starts warm, and randomly changes to cool at some point. Doesn't seem right to me, but I've read that the climate controls in these cars (and many GM models) are sketchy to start with.

The problem is that during the cool parts of the year, I usually leave my controls to blow warm air up to defog, and down to warm my feet/legs. As it stands now, I'm either roasting my legs, or blowing cool air at my face and windows. My $17K Scion did this effortlessly, and without constantly messing with the controls - set it and forget it. I would expect as much from a $45K+ ride.

Ryephile 11-21-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nx5nx6 (Post 9982616)
Don't even have to put my hand up, can feel cold air blowing on my face!

Mine does this too. The defrost is always max cold, no matter what the temp settings are. It's stupid because mid-winter I can't think of any reason to have max cold on the windshield, and in the summer it's so cold coming out of the defrost vents it fogs up the outside of the windshield. If there's a TSB for this I'd love to have it improved.

It's definitely not the best HVAC system. It feels like GM tried to outsmart the user and ended up making it worse.

nx5nx6 11-22-2017 08:45 AM

Guess we're the only ones...

nx5nx6 11-27-2017 08:50 AM

Going once, going twice....

Seems odd if no one else has this problem.

Ryephile 11-27-2017 10:25 AM

I found out that if you hit the "Max front defrost" icon, it'll go to max fan, windshield only, but blow warm air. You can adjust the fan speed manually and it'll continue warm windshield air. Unfortunately once you hit another zone button it'll cancel that warm-air-to-the-windshield mode and only do the zone button you pressed.

nx5nx6 11-27-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 9989735)
I found out that if you hit the "Max front defrost" icon, it'll go to max fan, windshield only, but blow warm air. You can adjust the fan speed manually and it'll continue warm windshield air. Unfortunately once you hit another zone button it'll cancel that warm-air-to-the-windshield mode and only do the zone button you pressed.

Not sure about all that, believe mine is the same.

Mine blows warm air up if ONLY regular defrost is on (or fast defrost), and also blows warm air up if all 3 zones are on. HOWEVER, if I select normal defrost (air blowing up from 3 upper vents in dash, and down (air to feet), the car blows cold air up and warm air down, BUT, only after it's been running a while.

In other words, once warm air is produced, it will push warm air up for a little while, then randomly change to cold air, but ONLY if top and bottom are selected (not front dash vents). If I'm selecting what I want, why does it change on its own? Also, if I select all 3 zones, not only do I have unwanted air blowing directly on me, but my windshield tends to fog up more unless I crank the fan up high.

I'm trying to see if others have the same issue, all input greatly appreciated!

nx5nx6 11-28-2017 10:00 AM

This morning I remote started my car. Let it run for about 7-8 minutes, jumped in and drove off to work. Temp was set at 80, top and bottom vents only, no Auto, no A/C, no recirculated air. Fan set at "2".

About 10-15 minutes into my drive, COLD air starts blowing through the tops vents, but warm (although slightly cooler) air though the bottom vents.

I turn temp up to 84. Same exact thing happens all over again. Stays warm for about 10 minutes, then changes to COLD.

WTF is going on.....

Marty McFlew 11-28-2017 10:07 AM

:yo:

iPODFAN11 11-28-2017 10:16 AM

Sounds like a temperature door actuator issue.