CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Anyone planning on getting a ZL1 1LE and removing some of the aero? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486103)

08z51c6 03-01-2017 11:25 AM

Anyone planning on getting a ZL1 1LE and removing some of the aero?

Yeah I know some will think this is a crazy idea but my reasons for doing it are good. Basically it's for keeping the parts looking good and from some jack head stealing them. I'm talking about the rear spoiler and replacing it with a stock ZL1 spoiler and the extra front aero being replaced with stock ZL1 parts.

This will protect them from any potential damage from road debris and from some idiot trying to steal the rear spoiler which I know would happen. Since I wouldn't be tracking the car the extra aero bits aren't that crucial and would be stored away to keep them in good condition.

Anyone else plan on removing some of the aero from the car?

67Builder 03-01-2017 11:35 AM

You're going to pay for an option that's probably going to be a pretty penny. And then remove said options?
If you're not going to track it, and you're going to cut it's nuts off so to speak. Why not just get a regular ZL1 and be happy with some extra change in your pocket?

Mr. Wyndham 03-01-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08z51c6 (Post 9587826)
Yeah I know some will think this is a crazy idea but my reasons for doing it are good. Basically it's for keeping the parts looking good and from some jack head stealing them. I'm talking about the rear spoiler and replacing it with a stock ZL1 spoiler and the extra front aero being replaced with stock ZL1 parts.

This will protect them from any potential damage from road debris and from some idiot trying to steal the rear spoiler which I know would happen. Since I wouldn't be tracking the car the extra aero bits aren't that crucial and would be stored away to keep them in good condition.

Anyone else plan on removing some of the aero from the car?

With all due respect - this is crazy to me.

Because of what I highlighted in bold...you should save your money and not get the 1LE package. You're not gaining anything without the aero, besides horribly expensive tires, and a stupid-expensive, stiffer, slightly less comfortable suspension. :iono:

08z51c6 03-01-2017 11:40 AM

I want the highest performing Camaro I can buy and this is it. I had a Z06 before and sold it and regretted it ever since. Never tracked that car either but I still bought one.

Also I'm not getting rid of the parts, I'm keeping them and they could be put back on the car at any time.

Mr. Wyndham 03-01-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08z51c6 (Post 9587864)
I want the highest performing Camaro I can buy and this is it. I had a Z06 before and sold it and regretted it ever since. Never tracked that car either but I still bought one.

But it's not going to perform without that aero...and the drivetrain remains unchanged...

Did you get the Z07 package on that Z06?

The fastest ZL1 configuration (if you're not going to track the car) is going to be an A10 coupe...

08z51c6 03-01-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 9587872)
But it's not going to perform without that aero...and the drivetrain remains unchanged...

Did you get the Z07 package on that Z06?

The fastest ZL1 configuration (if you're not going to track the car) is going to be an A10 coupe...

Yes, had the Z07 package. Don't want the A10 transmission, prefer a manual. The changes I would do won't make a difference on the street. They can be replaced if easily should the need arise.

Mr. Wyndham 03-01-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08z51c6 (Post 9587883)
Yes, had the Z07 package. Don't want the A10 transmission, prefer a manual. The changes I would do won't make a difference on the street. They can be replaced if easily should the need arise.

It's your car, and your money. I'm not going to judge the decision. I look forward to seeing the result. :)

If we're discussing the street, an M6 "regular" ZL1 will perform just as well as the ZL1 1LE...so I guess I just don't understand the motivation. :thumbsup:

08z51c6 03-01-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 9587895)
It's your car, and your money. I'm not going to judge the decision. I look forward to seeing the result. :)

If we're discussing the street, an M6 "regular" ZL1 will perform just as well as the ZL1 1LE...so I guess I just don't understand the motivation. :thumbsup:

It's cool, I get not everyone will agree or understand my thoughts. I just want the ZL1 1LE, it's more an emotional purchase than sensible. I could get the ZL1 without the 1LE package but then I'd always be thinking I should have bought it.

Removing the aero, or at least just the rear spoiler and front canards is purely a personal decision.

Stingray23 03-01-2017 12:28 PM

Thats a waste of time and money. Its not like the ZL1 is obsolete. Its a track pack with no additional power.

hrpiii 03-01-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08z51c6 (Post 9587906)
It's cool, I get not everyone will agree or understand my thoughts. I just want the ZL1 1LE, it's more an emotional purchase than sensible. I could get the ZL1 without the 1LE package but then I'd always be thinking I should have bought it.

Removing the aero, or at least just the rear spoiler and front canards is purely a personal decision.

I understand this. I see the "I want the best ZL1 they offer" mentality. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 9587986)
Thats a waste of time and money. Its not like the ZL1 is obsolete. Its a track pack with no additional power.

Stop thinking logically. It's an 'emotional' purchase. To me, any other color than Nightfall Gray is just nuts. Why not get the best color they offer. *see how that goes*. ;)

FNxR3DNECK 03-01-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 9587986)

I think the problem here is that now some people DO see the regular ZL1 as obsolete now. That is just absurd to me personally....

NB2017ZL1 03-01-2017 01:52 PM

Either way it won't be the top dog. New 5.5 Litre just announced in the new Gen 6 Z28 has over 700HP+.. The saga continues ...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486114
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/...ock-v8-engine/

hawk02 03-01-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK (Post 9588103)
I think the problem here is that now some people DO see the regular ZL1 as obsolete now. That is just absurd to me personally....

Couldn't agree with you more but unfortunately this is the perception for a lot of people.

Would the perception be different had Chevy delayed the 1LE announcement until the end of '17 model year -- maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.

reeper 03-01-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 (Post 9588205)
Either way it won't be the top dog. New 5.5 Litre just announced in the new Gen 6 Z28 has over 700HP+.. The saga continues ...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486114
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/...ock-v8-engine/

Yup - I'd put my order in for that one while I'm waiting for my ZL1 and ZL1 1LE to be built. Hate to fall behind - better call my dealer....