CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   hud) head up display install help (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484217)

pizokk1 02-14-2017 10:54 PM

hud) head up display install help

does any 1ss guy already installed a (HUD) on their car?? i want to buy one but i cant find instructions on how to install.. please help

SomeGeoffGuy 02-15-2017 06:16 AM

It would probably be easier to sell your car and buy a car that already has one. My guess is you would have to swap out the entire dash, all the wiring, and the windshield.

-Geoff

oneredry 02-15-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy (Post 9559570)
It would probably be easier to sell your car and buy a car that already has one. My guess is you would have to swap out the entire dash, all the wiring, and the windshield.

-Geoff

yep. windshield has a huge role in it. not to mention it needs to be configured, harness, whole dash (which isn't cheap) ect...

SomeGeoffGuy 02-15-2017 08:48 AM

Yea, you will get a double image if you try to put a HUD on a regular windshield. There is some special treatment to block the back reflection (or is it the front, I can't remember).

-Geoff

LibertyHill 02-15-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy (Post 9559792)
Yea, you will get a double image if you try to put a HUD on a regular windshield. There is some special treatment to block the back reflection (or is it the front, I can't remember).

-Geoff

Great so how much more is it going to cost me to replace my cracked HUD windshield?? :frusty:

oneredry 02-15-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyHill (Post 9559803)
Great so how much more is it going to cost me to replace my cracked HUD windshield?? :frusty:

that's a good question. My thoughts is a lot. I have a Buick Enclave that has the acoustic windshield and its almost double than of a normal windshield. I can't imagine what HUD windshields would cost. got my curiosity peaking however. should call a Safelite windshield installer and just see what the diff is. (or I guess a dealer.)

warriordave927 02-15-2017 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Theres this option plugs into your obd2 port but dont know how itll work with the humps in the dash above the cluster

jeverton 02-15-2017 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another alternative is from the Sharper Image... $100
https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view...H9dRoCdE_w_wcB

Mark114 02-15-2017 10:19 AM

As I recall there were a few Camaro5 forum members that said the HUD windshields were $800 for the 5th Gen. You could always call a glass shop to see how expensive they are for 6th Gen.

Installing the HUD in a 5th Gen Camaro was possible. I don't know how many people also replaced the windshield when adding a HUD. Here is one of many threads:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146851

Lafourche1 02-15-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 9559917)
that's a good question. My thoughts is a lot. I have a Buick Enclave that has the acoustic windshield and its almost double than of a normal windshield. I can't imagine what HUD windshields would cost. got my curiosity peaking however. should call a Safelite windshield installer and just see what the diff is. (or I guess a dealer.)

Wouldn't a windshield replacement be covered under the "Comprehensive" section of you insurance policy? I would think it would be the normal $50 - $200 deductible. Since it is under the comprehensive section, it should not affect your rates, unless you have to have several replaced.

Just my 2 cents, only worth a single penny in today's economy.

oneredry 02-15-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 9560021)
Wouldn't a windshield replacement be covered under the "Comprehensive" section of you insurance policy? I would think it would be the normal $50 - $200 deductible. Since it is under the comprehensive section, it should not affect your rates, unless you have to have several replaced.

Just my 2 cents, only worth a single penny in today's economy.

you are correct. it does. out of curiosity I didn't understand the acoustic part of it so when I went to my Buick dealer that's what he said. So to your point, I guess it really won't matter since the insurance is paying. lol. However, I would only want the GM specific windshield (not the aftermarket ones that those windshield company's put in)

Thompyt 02-15-2017 02:37 PM

Unless the HUD/Windshield configuration has changed considerably, with the HUD windshield having a reflective film added to the area of the HUD display area. I would not say that the windshield has a huge role in it. I added the HUD in a 2008 C6 after the fact without any issues vis a vis the windshield.

ron scubadiver 02-15-2017 04:20 PM

Just looking at the windshield in my 2SS I can't see anything different or special about it. Is there some way to tell if it has a special coating?

vet757 02-15-2017 04:26 PM

Safelite windshield quotes:

$608 (HUD)
$430 (Non HUD)