CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Intercooler and charge pipe upgrade? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466033)

Corner carver 09-07-2016 12:31 PM

Intercooler and charge pipe upgrade?

Was hoping some of the fellow turbo enthusiasts have heard of an intercooler upgrade with corresponding hot and cold piping...
The only one I've heard of (for piping anyways) is Jason's big mouth set up (keep at it man!).

Any info on developments would be greatly appreciated (even rumors are welcome):pop2:

Evil-Bee-NH 09-07-2016 01:06 PM

ZZP's ATS intercooler works on the Camaro's LTG not sure on the piping wish they were an active sponsor on here.

Corner carver 09-07-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 9298546)
ZZP's ATS intercooler works on the Camaro's LTG not sure on the piping wish they were an active sponsor on here.

Thanks for the info! Have been following your build thread:w00t:, looking forward to eliminating the intake and exhaust restrictions and seeing what the stock turbo is good for before (eventually) upgrading.

Would ZZP's intercooler be a direct bolt in, or would it require the mounts to be tweaked and new piping made?... Sorry, you mentioned the piping already.

Btw, can't wait to see what your car puts down on the dyno with the new intake and downpipe setup!

Corner carver 09-15-2016 01:24 PM

Hoping for a larger capacity intercooler and also one with wide fin spacing (especially if it has more rows than stock) to maintain a decent airflow through to the 'main' radiator...

Anyone have a rough idea where these stock intercoolers max out? Also curious about the pressure drop across the stock unit also... A million thanks to anyone who has access to this info! :happy0180: :noidea:

Jason@JacFab 09-15-2016 08:02 PM

Intercooler and charge pipe upgrade?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 9298546)

As I recall, the ZZP intercooler supposedly fits the AWD ATS only? The RWD guys bitch about that. The ZZP website also says currently only fits AWD...

I'll be looking at an intercooler upgrade in the future once I finish the other projects I've got in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corner carver 09-16-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9313626)
As I recall, the ZZP intercooler supposedly fits the AWD ATS only? The RWD guys bitch about that. The ZZP website also says currently only fits AWD...

I'll be looking at an intercooler upgrade in the future once I finish the other projects I've got in the works.

I've yet to find a case of someone for sure running ZZP's setup in a rear wheel drive LTG application... If anyone knows of this working, chime in just so we can get the info up for all the peeps!

@Jason, hope the coldside pipe is coming along well! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the intercooler and hotpipe, this news makes me happy I'm holding off a bit on jumping in on the mods :happyanim:

Mishimoto 09-16-2016 11:40 AM

Hey everyone! Sneaking in here before having started our R&D threads yet, but we are working on both an intercooler and the IC pipes! Stay tuned in this forum and I'll be putting up some initial R&D posts pretty soon.

Thanks!
-Gardiner

Nate... 09-16-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mishimoto (Post 9314623)
Hey everyone! Sneaking in here before having started our R&D threads yet, but we are working on both an intercooler and the IC pipes! Stay tuned in this forum and I'll be putting up some initial R&D posts pretty soon.

Thanks!
-Gardiner

:thumbsup:

Jason@JacFab 09-16-2016 02:29 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...7dba536b26.jpg

The intercooler definitely needs an upgrade for anyone planning on some serious modifications.... Look at that puny little thing

Corner carver 09-21-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab (Post 9315001)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...7dba536b26.jpg

The intercooler definitely needs an upgrade for anyone planning on some serious modifications.... Look at that puny little thing

For real, it's embarrassingly small... I wouldn't think it would hold up to well with a few bolt ons and some track punishment; even if it did, what kind of pressure loss are we seeing across it? :iono:

Corner carver 09-21-2016 11:29 AM

Looking forward to some more quality info from the guys with the means to find out! :pop2:

Mishimoto 11-09-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corner carver (Post 9322677)
Looking forward to some more quality info from the guys with the means to find out! :pop2:

Hey, not sure if you've seen this yet (i think you have, but I may be wrong) but we've started blogging for our intercooler project!

Read the first post here.

We'll be documenting the process throughout R&D.

Thanks!
-Gardiner

Corner carver 11-09-2016 02:16 PM

Sure have, but thanks for the bump/reminder anyways :biggrin:

ChicagoTommy 11-10-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corner carver (Post 9322673)
For real, it's embarrassingly small... I wouldn't think it would hold up to well with a few bolt ons and some track punishment; even if it did, what kind of pressure loss are we seeing across it? :iono:

You'll see more pressure loss with a larger intercooler (more space to fill). Boost is a measure of restriction, and the factory piece is probably a minor restriction even though it has a pretty good end tank design.