CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   These new 4 cylinder cars. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429056)

two_wheel_mayhem 11-08-2015 01:51 PM

These new 4 cylinder cars.

Will they take off or be a repeat of earlier failures? In the late 70's Ford tried it, failed, refined it greatly for an almost win (svo) even had the 2.3 putting out the same HP numbers as the V8. The car handled great but never was fast nor reliable as the V8.

I'm seeing history repeat itself as there are already ecoboost Mustangs on the streets around here. Sounding like crap and not really going anywhere fast.

The thing most guys don't seem to pick up on is you gotta launch it at like 5000 rpm to get it to even have a chance, and how long is it gonna last under those conditions?

Car is too heavy, engine is too small. They should just turbo the 3.6 then they would really have something (like decreased SS sales)

Oh what to do? It's almost like a conspiracy or something.

SS376 11-08-2015 01:58 PM

Obama and the EPA have mandated a CAFE fleet average of 54.5 mpg by 2025. It's ridiculous and only achievable by drastically shrinking displacement and massively curtailing our freedom to choose what cars we want to drive. Enjoy your V8 and get ready for a 4 cylinder future.

JLSuperfly 11-08-2015 01:59 PM

The V6ers just can't wait for these 4 bangers to hit the streets.

fhrex 11-08-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLSuperfly (Post 8725951)
The V6ers just can't wait for these 4 bangers to hit the streets.

Not me, I'm more than happy with the performance of my 3.6! Performance and mileage....best of both worlds

BigBlock69RS 11-08-2015 02:19 PM

Those 4 cyl Eco boost motors in the new slang are stout. They love exhaust and intake mods and can get 400hp out them with those two mods and a tune. I have seen them on the track they aren't a slouch either.

I'd have one in a heartbeat if I had a long commute.

two_wheel_mayhem 11-08-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS376 (Post 8725950)
Obama and the EPA have mandated a CAFE fleet average of 54.5 mpg by 2025. It's ridiculous and only achievable by drastically shrinking displacement and massively curtailing our freedom to choose what cars we want to drive. Enjoy your V8 and get ready for a 4 cylinder future.

They could certainly get better mileage out of the four banger with no turbo, but I guess the car would be too slow and no one would buy it. What is the fleet average MPG they are running at now?

two_wheel_mayhem 11-08-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS (Post 8725968)
Those 4 cyl Eco boost motors in the new slang are stout. They love exhaust and intake mods and can get 400hp out them with those two mods and a tune. I have seen them on the track they aren't a slouch either.

I'd have one in a heartbeat if I had a long commute.

Those same mods would put your V8 way ahead of it. Yes I've seen videos of Ecoboost Mustangs making unbelievable passes, they all claim they are "stock"

Truth is, regardless of magazine hype you can count on seeing a lot of people running slow with them.

GMTool 11-08-2015 02:28 PM

I always think about when it's me driving with a passenger, some cargo and luggage in the trunk and back seat, 99 degrees outside with high humidity and the A/C blasting cold air while going up a hill. When they make a 4 or 6 banger that can still accelerate strongly in these conditions, I may consider one.

KaBoom1701 11-08-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem (Post 8725942)
Will they take off or be a repeat of earlier failures? In the late 70's Ford tried it, failed, refined it greatly for an almost win (svo) even had the 2.3 putting out the same HP numbers as the V8. The car handled great but never was fast nor reliable as the V8.

I'm seeing history repeat itself as there are already ecoboost Mustangs on the streets around here. Sounding like crap and not really going anywhere fast.

The thing most guys don't seem to pick up on is you gotta launch it at like 5000 rpm to get it to even have a chance, and how long is it gonna last under those conditions?

Car is too heavy, engine is too small. They should just turbo the 3.6 then they would really have something (like decreased SS sales)

Oh what to do? It's almost like a conspiracy or something.

I disagree.....

We all know that Ford sucks so I'm not defending their eco boost crap.

The 4 bangers that GM is putting out are quite good.

I drive a 4 banger Malibu and it's 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine is not bad. At almost 200hp it cruises along nicely.

With the new CARB regulations coming the more 4 & 6 cylinder cars are out their the better. It helps offset the high HP version we all drive. :biggrin:

two_wheel_mayhem 11-08-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMTool (Post 8725976)
I always think about when it's me driving with a passenger, some cargo and luggage in the trunk and back seat, 99 degrees outside with high humidity and the A/C blasting cold air while going up a hill. When they make a 4 or 6 banger that can still accelerate strongly in these conditions, I may consider one.

Good point. I'd consider that to be normal driving. I also don't want to be required to "give my engine hell" just to get up a hill. I save those moments for when I want to feel happy...lol.

rebelyell22 11-08-2015 02:34 PM

The EcoBoost is a beast. I want one of the new Focus RS's.

two_wheel_mayhem 11-08-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 8725977)
I disagree.....

We all know that Ford sucks so I'm not defending their eco boost crap.

I disagree that Ford sucks, they build their cars outta the same plastic and metal that GM does, with a different texture is all.

I used the Mustang as an example because it's already out there, it's hyped as being faster than what it really is, and the Camaro is probably not gonna be quicker when it comes along.

KaBoom1701 11-08-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem (Post 8725986)
I disagree that Ford sucks, they build their cars outta the same plastic and metal that GM does, with a different texture is all.

I used the Mustang as an example because it's already out there, it's hyped as being faster than what it really is, and the Camaro is probably not gonna be quicker when it comes along.

I would sport the GT350 or their Raptor trucks but that's about it.

Just go to any ford dealer and see how big their service department is.....enough said. :popcorn:

pickwithaustin 11-08-2015 02:49 PM

Not everybody buys a Camaro to exceed speed limits.

(I'd never get a 4 though - but I will say the turbo 4 in my Audi can pull away from a Camaro SS pretty fast)