CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   BNR catless DP in hand (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556253)

cooper1965 06-11-2019 09:04 PM

BNR catless DP in hand

4 Attachment(s)
I chose this one because the shape and design initially caught my interest. I like how its not the traditional "S" shape, and I'm interested by the flow design, with the sharp turn right off the turbo, into the long straight stretch. Curious how this design may break up the sound as well. It's a little more expensive, but its 304 stainless, including the thick flanges, and arogon back purged tig welds. Welds look great. No history of cracking that I'm aware of. Unit measures 3 full inches on both ends. Very, Very nice piece in my opinion so far.

turbojeep95 06-11-2019 09:58 PM

Really nice piece. When you going to try for the install? Also, does it come with a lower mounting bracket?

Start The Machine 06-12-2019 12:44 AM

Put that bitch on.

cooper1965 06-12-2019 03:25 PM

No bracket, and if the rain holds out-should go on tonight! I'll report back on fitment.

protovack 06-13-2019 03:43 AM

very excited to hear how this goes.

cooper1965 06-14-2019 10:38 AM

So, install was absurdly simple. Fitment was spot on. Thing practically fell into place. Plenty of room all around, didn't have to move trans lines or anything like that. Pleasantly surprised how quiet it can be at idle and cruising! Loving the way it sounds at WOT, and the crackle and pops tuned in on decel! Wish I would have done this sooner, but was concerned about sound. I should not have been.

Delpy 06-14-2019 04:53 PM

Love the finish !. Interested to see if your data log numbers show improvement .

protovack 06-16-2019 11:42 PM

How does it feel driving? What kind of sound are you getting on acceleration compared to the stock down pipe?

cooper1965 06-17-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protovack (Post 10546364)
How does it feel driving? What kind of sound are you getting on acceleration compared to the stock down pipe?

It feels pretty good. I expected some low end loss, but that didn't happen that Ive noticed. Feels meatier through mid-range and up top. I don't have any hard data yet to back any of that up though. The car is now(or was at first), on average, adding another 5% of fuel after install, so Ive got to fine tune everything back into specs before getting those numbers. Sorry about the delay on that front. But, I'm kind of OCD on this sort of thing, and it just takes alot of logging and what not.

I will edit to comment on sound in a bit.

Sound. Tough one. At first, I was amazed by how quiet it was at idle and just cruising. Still am really. You can barely tell a difference in those moments. Now, cold starts,..Pretty loud those first 5 seconds or so until it idles down. Especially in the garage. Getting into the throttle, you can definately hear its louder. Not bad at all though. You can hear the turbo spooling now, could not before. If the windows are up, its a very small audible difference. Most of the sound stays out behind the car. Outside of the car, its definitely louder. You can tell its not stock. My best description of the sound would be "A louder version of the stock exhaust". At WOT, its a different tone though. More of a wooshing type sound, combined with a louder stock exhaust sound. Hard to put this stuff into words. Hopefully that helped? lol.

I will add this: I'm super particular about sound, sound levels, ect and the last thing I ever wanted to do was amplify the sound of the LTG. I never have liked the sound they make, part of the reason I waited soo long to do a DP. Now that its done, I am fully satisfied with the sound, and sound levels it can, or can not make. No complaints at all. And if you have BOSE, the sound augmentation still works flawlessly.

wookwook 06-17-2019 02:16 PM

There was no fear of any issues with snapping bolts or anything? Did you use or source any torque specs?

ZZP_Tyler 06-17-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper1965 (Post 10546636)
I will add this: I'm super particular about sound, sound levels, ect and the last thing I ever wanted to do was amplify the sound of the LTG. I never have liked the sound they make

I totally agree. I love the way the LNF sounds, and even an LSJ with a proper resonated exhaust can sound okay. The LTG, for whatever reason, just sounds bad. The only one I've heard that I've liked the exhaust note is Allen's car, and that's got a "big" turbo and makes 600 to the wheels which changes things. Our production ZZP exhaust is still pretty reserved for the LTG (compared to our other offerings), but that's probably a good thing :laugh:

cooper1965 06-17-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookwook (Post 10546782)
There was no fear of any issues with snapping bolts or anything? Did you use or source any torque specs?

No concern. They are a high grade bolts and nuts designed for what they do from the factory. I did not bother with torque specs for this job, mostly because I was not replacing factory parts, so they are not as relevant. Just make sure everything is tight going back together, and by tight , I mean TIGHT and you will be fine.
My only concerns for the entire job:
New gaskets for both sides of the pipe. A touch of anti-seize for the o2 sensor threads. (don't get sloppy and get it anywhere but the threads)

Make sure your have a swivel head, the inside lower turbo nut is at an awkward position. Also, you will need a breaker bar if using hand tools. The turbo mounting nuts are on there good! Only other issue (kinda) is I did this on race ramps, so getting leverage on the lower 2 bolts under the car was slightly difficult. Again breaker bar and done.

wookwook 06-17-2019 08:58 PM

got it and have all that stuff and looking at the ramps for cost over a visit to the muffler guy. its just the weather and rain here. Thanks a ton and exactly how I expected..

2.0t_godfather 06-18-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler (Post 10546795)
I totally agree. I love the way the LNF sounds, and even an LSJ with a proper resonated exhaust can sound okay. The LTG, for whatever reason, just sounds bad. The only one I've heard that I've liked the exhaust note is Allen's car, and that's got a "big" turbo and makes 600 to the wheels which changes things. Our production ZZP exhaust is still pretty reserved for the LTG (compared to our other offerings), but that's probably a good thing :laugh:

That was a huge surprise. With my exhaust on it, I like the sound, especially on boost.