CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z/28 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   Could this be the new Z/28? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538987)

LateBrakeU2 02-18-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 10440339)

I just use history as my guide.

I agree,Z/28's never been anything but NA. You bet times are changing,and it ain't good. Never mind a gen 7 Z, I wonder how many people really understand that the future of GM does probably not include a car like the Camaro. They killed it once, i guarantee you they are not in love with their merchandise like we are. It will be a simple biz decision based on sales, doesn't hit the # and it's axed. JMO

BradfordCamaro 02-18-2019 05:03 PM

"...Now that Al O. is gone.."

Well, maybe that is a good thing. Mr. sticking with tradition, No Auto in a 1LE-man....

Bye Al, time to break tradition and get some power under that Camaro hood.

joelster 02-18-2019 05:42 PM

IMO the performance aspect of the Camaro was pushed by Mark Stielow. He was the brains behind the 5th gen Z/28, and it's world beating numbers. He's retired now I think?

mlee 02-18-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10439902)
Because GM has always kept the top engines out of the Camaro.

LS9
LS6
LT5
LT4
LS-6
LS-5
All the big block 427s.

GM has never put its best in the Camaro.

All old school. Things have changed since the LT4 and Camaro published the fastest ring time ever for Corvette or Camaro with this engine. The tradition is broken.

LT5
:iono:
LT4

LS9
LS6
LS-6
LS-5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artos (Post 10440442)
How did we go from the LT5 will or will not make it into the Camaro to arguing over not getting the vette engine at the same mfg timeframe??

Mike wasn't asking 'what makes you so sure it won't' for tomorrows production?? He clearly stated he is willing to bet the 7th gen will have the LT5?? That's it...by that time (2022 by mlee's guess) the ZR-1 & LT5 marriage is likely on the rocks & she's ready to come slum it with us lowly Camaro scabs.:doh:

Yeah, the L88 in 69 is worth bringing up again...:thumb:

Camaro always gets hand-me-downs from the vette when it makes sense. LT4 hit the Z06 and was top dog. Now it's in the Camaro. Just because the LS9 (or the ZR1 motor) never went in the Camaro certainly doesn't mean the LT5 is off the table. We kind of moved quickly past the LS9 with dry sump etc and onto the LSA which made more sense last time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro (Post 10440459)
"...Now that Al O. is gone.."

Well, maybe that is a good thing. Mr. sticking with tradition, No Auto in a 1LE-man....

Bye Al, time to break tradition and get some power under that Camaro hood.

Al, is the one that broke tradition on this one. He knew it way back when I ordered my manual 1LE. Probably one of their best kept secrets but then it's pretty easy to hide a gear shifter.

Bhobbs 02-18-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10440501)
All old school. Things have changed since the LT4 and Camaro published the fastest ring time ever for Corvette or Camaro with this engine. The tradition is broken.

LT5
LT4

LS9
LS6
LS-6
LS-5

Camaro always gets hand-me-downs from the vette when it makes sense. LT4 hit the Z06 and was top dog. Now it's in the Camaro. Just because the LS9 (or the ZR1 motor) never went in the Camaro certainly doesn't mean the LT5 is off the table. We kind of moved quickly past the LS9 with dry sump etc and onto the LSA which made more sense last time.

Al, is the one that broke tradition on this one. He knew it way back when I ordered my manual 1LE. Probably one of their best kept secrets but then it's pretty easy to hide a gear shifter.

I meant the original LT4 and DOHC LT5. Obviously GM intended the LT4 to replace the LS7 and LSA. They knew the LT5 was coming so the LT4 was never top dog.

Until I see Camaro getting more power than the Corvette, or unique engines, saying the Camaro isn't limited any more is just lip service.

NW-99SS 02-19-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10440695)
saying the Camaro isn't limited any more is just lip service.

Pot...meet kettle

shaffe 02-19-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW-99SS (Post 10440408)
Do you just blatantly ignore how I addressed this point in my previous post?

I fail to understand why you keep bringing up the same talking point like it somehow applies to the 6th gen, when GM's own lead engineer said it's different now, and then proved it when both cars were offered with the most powerful production engine in GM history at the same time...

To reiterate, naysay all you want...I never said the LT5 Camaro WILL happen, I said I hope that it does - instead of being a negative Nancy and all.

Carry on :bonk:

Because to me the talking point still stands.
He may have said it's different, but its not yet at least to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10425230)
C7 ZR1 was always part of the plan and has launched pretty much when expected. I was still at GM during the development.

So GM knew that there was going to be a hotter engine available than the LT4. So to me that still proves that they are keeping the most powerful engine Corvette exclusive- at least until Corvette is no longer using it.

I would love to be wrong, I think it would be awesome to have GM throw the LT5 in the Camaro and just decimate everything. I just use history as my guide, and tend to have lower expectations than most when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 10440501)

LT5
LT4

LS9
LS6
LS-6
LS-5

Your point about the Camaro posting fastest time should come with an * as GM has never posted an official time for the Z06 or ZR1 at the ring. Sport Auto magazine has an "unofficial" lap time for the Z06/Z07 of 7:13.90 which is faster than the Camaro ZLE time. The Z06 was also faster in LL at VIR, and the ZR1 was one of the fastest cars to ever run the LL, Z06 and ZR1 also posted faster times at Laguna Seca. Times may have changed, and they are making Camaro the best they can but the Corvette is still king of performance at GM.

With the LT5, I just go back to past history again that the ZR1 has had a special engine that was only used in that vehicle and nothing else. I expect that to be the case with the LT5 this time around, especially becuase I think it is going to be the grand send off before the rumored ME C8

radz28 02-19-2019 03:16 PM

I don't know about Camaro getting hand-me-downs. Mag Ride III first appeared on ZL1 in 2012. I don't believe Corvette got in until C7. Also - you can't get DSSV-shocks in any Corvette (if I recall), nor can you get an A10. I'm not necessarily arguing that Camaro only gets hand-me-downs, but there are precedents that Camaro does get stuff before Corvette, so that's part of the reason why I think Camaro could get LT5.

What I think GM should've done is make Z28 what ZLE is, and make ZL1 a GT-type triple-threat car with LT5 and CF-brakes with MR III. But that's just my wish list.

joelster 02-20-2019 07:31 PM

Pretty sure the 5th gen Z/28 got the carbon brakes that are used on the C7 Z06. So basically the 'Vette got the Camaro's hand me downs in that aspect.

V8 Firebird 02-22-2019 05:53 AM

There is nothing to see GM keeps Camaro as down level Corvette anymore, as GM has decided to break and switch Corvette from tradition of FR to MR layout.

So, there is a possible that we can see Camaro may also break rule and would get LT5 in future.

396ssrat 02-22-2019 11:16 AM

Corvette is a world class car at a lower cost to the buyer. Camaro is nowhere close to a Corvette nor will it be. Apples and Oranges. That's not to say the Camaro cannot handle, it certainly can but it will either serve as a multipurpose competitive vehicle, drag race car included, or it will get dropped. Third in sales in it's class can't last long. It was dropped before so it will either make GM money or it will go away. It's likely going to morph to electric car status.

hotlap 03-12-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 10440695)
I meant the original LT4 and DOHC LT5. Obviously GM intended the LT4 to replace the LS7 and LSA. They knew the LT5 was coming so the LT4 was never top dog.

Until I see Camaro getting more power than the Corvette, or unique engines, saying the Camaro isn't limited any more is just lip service.

When the LT4 came out, we didn’t know about the LT5...
Quote:

During testing of C8 prototypes with the 900- (671-kilowatt) to 1,000-horsepower (745-kilowatt) V8 equipped, engineers cracked the glass on the rear hatch.

https://www-motor1-com.cdn.ampprojec...ce-platform%2F

Bhobbs 03-12-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlap (Post 10459013)
When the LT4 came out, we didn’t know about the LT5...

Did the ZL1 get the LS9 because the LT4 was coming?