Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Any regrets on putting a cam in? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489546)

370zyzfr1 03-29-2017 10:28 PM

Any regrets on putting a cam in?

Anyone have regrets about a cam install?

I have a JRE smooth idle cam package I have scheduled to be installed in a week or so. Before I have them crack open the engine I wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with any cam install. Something about cracking open the engine for the first time... I've got my installer lined up who has done a lot of these.

Also l, what should I be doing for cooling? I don't have anything done yet. I've heard about heat exchangers and reservoirs. What is a reservoir?

I have the new 125 package now. Headers. Id850, rotofab. 18% od pulley. Jms regulator.

Thoughts?

jayno20 03-29-2017 10:50 PM

:popcorn:

Crash76 03-30-2017 12:49 AM

Not doing it sooner...

Always a risk with anything, i did the JRE cam install myself... only issue i had was crank case pressure and that was fixed with a new catch can setup from mighty mouse... and a mod i did to it to reduce fumes... been no issues since.

I did a radiator and heat exchanger long before i made any HP upgrades.

I do not know where you are at on warranty, but that has to be taken into consideration

Liquidity 03-30-2017 01:16 AM

I own the Z/28 and performance is great and the idea of a Cam would be nice but at this point in time I cannot justify the extra noise Cams make plus the possibility of devaluing the Car since the Z/28 is considered a Collector Car now. Bottom line maybe in the future. Redline Performance does has a good reputation. Best of luck.

STUNNAH 03-30-2017 01:29 AM

I am not mechanically inclined so I have to pay for the installation of all my mods...Also I never intend to drag/track race my car, I bought it to be a DD...I did my research and determined that a stage 1 kit would be perfect for me...As far as cams and/or any internal upgrades to my car it will never happen, even with the technology now I'm simply afraid to do any internal mods because is something goes wrong I can't repair it...And I'm not in to the extra maintenance that is required, like having to send your oil off to have it inspected...I may be putting way to much thought into internal mods but that's just my fear...I could even have a failure from the stage 1 kit but the chance of that happening is extremely low...Again this is just my fear and not intended to impose against any other members experience...

Liquidity 03-30-2017 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUNNAH (Post 9643514)
I am not mechanically inclined so I have to pay for the installation of all my mods...Also I never intend to drag/track race my car, I bought it to be a DD...I did my research and determined that a stage 1 kit would be perfect for me...As far as cams and/or any internal upgrades to my car it will never happen, even with the technology now I'm simply afraid to do any internal mods because is something goes wrong I can't repair it...And I'm not in to the extra maintenance that is required, like having to send your oil off to have it inspected...I may be putting way to much thought into internal mods but that's just my fear...I could even have a failure from the stage 1 kit but the chance of that happening is extremely low...Again this is just my fear and not intended to impose against any other members experience...

I agree with you. I think Cam Installs are a big deal. Scary. Like pulling the trigger. Can you put the bullet back in the chamber?

STUNNAH 03-30-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidity (Post 9643526)
I agree with you. I think Cam Installs are a big deal. Scary. Like pulling the trigger. Can you put the bullet back in the chamber?

It's good to know that I'm not the only member that had this concern...

Viczl1 03-30-2017 06:00 AM

I feel the same way. I'm going to do a stage 1 similar to Stunnah and call it a day. And that's next year when my warranty is up and I have GM change the supercharger on there dime. It's fast enough for me and if I ever want to sell it or trade it in those modifications actually hurt value.

370zyzfr1 03-30-2017 06:08 AM

This is good to hear. This has been my fear as well. I have a full Bolton on package now. But am a bit worried completely having the engine opened up.

GONMAD510 03-30-2017 07:44 AM

I have no regrets with having the cam installed in my car. I am running a BTR stage 3 cam with the items in my signature and I love it. My car is my daily driver also.

TOO.BAD 03-30-2017 08:15 AM

JRE installed their 650 RWHP package on my 2013 ZL1 two years ago. I have put 10,000 miles on the road and 50 runs at the 1/4 mile drag strip with 0 issues. My car Drives Great, Sounds Great, and is fast as HELL!
To answer your question: No, I have no regrets on putting a cam in!

370zyzfr1 03-30-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOO.BAD (Post 9643810)
JRE installed their 650 RWHP package on my 2013 ZL1 two years ago. I have put 10,000 miles on the road and 50 runs at the 1/4 mile drag strip with 0 issues. My car Drives Great, Sounds Great, and is fast as HELL!
To answer your question: No, I have no regrets on putting a cam in!

Did you do the jre tune or have a custom tune done?

370zyzfr1 03-30-2017 08:43 AM

Where do you get a coolant reservoir upgrade from?

TOO.BAD 03-30-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 (Post 9643857)
Did you do the jre tune or have a custom tune done?

JRE did the install and did a custom tune on the Dyno.