Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 manual driveline (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501365)

IcedBee 07-13-2017 12:25 AM

ZL1 manual driveline

Hy
I am thinking of trading my ss for a ZL1.
My biggest question is if i should get an auto or manual.

My ss is manual and all my former cars were too. I really like manual shifting but i am not really happy with the shifting in my ss. The driveline is very "clunky" due to too much play ind the whole driveline. I am used to bmw's and there the driveline feels like one piece, no clunk, no noise etc.

What about the zl1 trans: is it comparable to the ss in regards to "clunk", play in the driveline etc. or is it completely different/better?

Sure i will also try to test a manual zl1 but if you tell me that the trans is more or less similar then i will for sure get the auto ;)

Cheers from Switzerland

acammer 07-13-2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedBee (Post 9815491)
Hy
I am thinking of trading my ss for a ZL1.
My biggest question is if i should get an auto or manual.

My ss is manual and all my former cars were too. I really like manual shifting but i am not really happy with the shifting in my ss. The driveline is very "clunky" due to too much play ind the whole driveline. I am used to bmw's and there the driveline feels like one piece, no clunk, no noise etc.

What about the zl1 trans: is it comparable to the ss in regards to "clunk", play in the driveline etc. or is it completely different/better?

Sure i will also try to test a manual zl1 but if you tell me that the trans is more or less similar then i will for sure get the auto ;)

Cheers from Switzerland

I do think the ZL1 has a stiffer feel than the SS with regard to driveline slop. With that said, either car would benefit from solid bushings in the differential and rear sub-frame.

Crash76 07-13-2017 01:33 AM

I wouldnt do diff busings, lots of reports of added noise/vibrations from that, solid subframe bushings are good to go... very little if any increase in noise/vibrations

IcedBee 07-13-2017 02:19 AM

afaik in the SS this "clunk" is more due to the mechanical play in the trans, shaft and diff.

e.g. if you roll slow and push the clutch, it makes a clunk noise, also the 2nd gear often does not go in well but thats more due to weak syncros.

STUNNAH 07-13-2017 03:34 AM

Your question is kind of irrelevant at this point because you didn't tell us if you're looking at upgrading to a 5th or 6th Gen...If 5th I would say manual, if 6th I would say automatic...No intent of being a smartass...:thumb:

PJMZL1 07-13-2017 04:39 AM

The Z is solid. Love my manual.

IcedBee 07-13-2017 05:51 AM

Sorry, 5th gen is meant

SlingShot 07-13-2017 07:46 AM

IMO the clunks and noises is the way American cars are. As far as the ZL1 though, you won't break it that's for sure.

acammer 07-13-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash76 (Post 9815530)
I wouldnt do diff busings, lots of reports of added noise/vibrations from that, solid subframe bushings are good to go... very little if any increase in noise/vibrations

I did diff bushings with my 4.10 rear. I did gain some noise out of the rear, you can hear the LSD working at low speeds, and there are a few spots where you can pick up gear whine. But it definitely firms things up quite a bit. I still need to do my cradle - you can feel how soft they are if you pull the e-brake on firmly while at a slow (ie. 2-4mph) roll. Mine will actually rock back and forth on them a few times as it settles. 24k on the car, so they aren't old and destroyed either - just the way the factory wanted them.

Genzl1rev 07-13-2017 09:01 AM

Get the M6. You won't regret it.
I let a friend take mine out that used to have 2002 ss vert manual.
He let me drive it way back then so I let him have a turn at mine.

Just to let you know, I don't drive my car hard:rolleyes:, but the look on this guys face...:thumbup: was classic.

He speed shifted it and I didn't even look at the speedo.

I need to go to a shifting class or something.

I'm still thinking about the hurst shorty, but the stock one is still good.

good luck.

lbls1 07-13-2017 10:25 AM

M6 for a ZL1.

IcedBee 07-13-2017 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Think i will just try to test drive a manual. But i am still quite interested in getting an auto with the pedals but if the manual is much better than in the ss then i think thats my choice.

STUNNAH 07-14-2017 12:46 AM

5th Gen M more HP, 6th Gen A just plain sick...:thumb:

camguynj 01-30-2024 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acammer (Post 9815497)
I do think the ZL1 has a stiffer feel than the SS with regard to driveline slop. With that said, either car would benefit from solid bushings in the differential and rear sub-frame.

Hey Andrew, What are your thoughts on the below product to help reduce slop in the DS?

https://www.jxbperformance.com/produ...arrier-upgrade