Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoke blowing into cabin (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585427)

HeyZeus 12-03-2020 09:33 AM

Smoke blowing into cabin

So I’ve had an eventful morning with my Camaro today... got home from work to move it... dead battery, so took me a while to work out how to access the battery in the trunk with no power to open the trunk from the outside... got that done, and took it for a drive... 5 minutes in, white smoke starts filling my cabin. Doesn’t smell like burning plastic or rubber or anything else I’ve smelled from a car before, so quickly pulled over fearing an electrical fire given the recent battery problems but nothing... started driving home and smoke came back. Any ideas? Don’t really feel like blowing my car up this close to Christmas 😅

c-57d 12-03-2020 09:54 AM

If it's coming from the vents, I would suspect a broken heater core.
You would know if it was electrical.
-S

InFiD3ViL 12-03-2020 12:17 PM

No sweet coolant smell?

HeyZeus 12-03-2020 05:42 PM

Well I’ve never smelled burning coolant so can’t say for sure that was it. It was kinda a sweet smell, rather than the bitterness of most other smokes. Heater core sounds likely, going to get a quote on it on Monday

Aqua Blue RS/SS 12-03-2020 07:12 PM

Yep sweet is antifreeze.

HeyZeus 12-04-2020 01:22 PM

So I went out today to retest it... heater cranked, fan on full, drove for 30 minutes and no smoke, no smell... any way it could’ve just been a false alarm? Like an overflow from the cold or something? I haven’t been able to replicate it and really am hoping I don’t have to spend the money on that... waaaaay more fun things to spend on lol

Bigdumogre 12-04-2020 01:30 PM

Check the floor under the glovebox and see if it wet anywhere. Maybe stick your hand under the carpet and feel around. Heater core leaks usually wind up there.

Or it could of been a plastic bag stuck and melting on your exhaust. That’s a common problem in New York and used to grind them off peoples exhaust all the time.

Aqua Blue RS/SS 12-04-2020 01:37 PM

Another heater core symptom is fog on the inside of the passenger side windshield that won’t go away even with the defrost on.

HeyZeus 12-04-2020 01:39 PM

No permanent fogging, and no wetness under the glovebox or signs of any moisture under there

sdynak 12-04-2020 03:44 PM

And coolant loss of course..

SlingShot 12-04-2020 07:31 PM

Were you parked in the median while this was happening, just asking...

Rock-It Man 12-05-2020 10:53 AM

Your white "smoke" sounds like water vapor or coolant. The smell of coolant is strong and unmistakable, so maybe water? Was your car sitting outside during a severe rain storm?

HeyZeus 12-05-2020 11:41 AM

Car was sitting outside and had a nice coating of ice on it. Hadn’t been driven in a few days. Just drove another 80 miles with heat on and nothing so think I dodged a bullet here. Thanks for all the input