CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Waze comparison between Android and Apple (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501252)

aauno 07-11-2017 09:08 PM

Waze comparison between Android and Apple

Can anyone compare using Waze on Apple Car Play and Android Auto in our Camaro's? I have both Android and Apple, so I'm trying to get one setup for the Camaro Fest trip. I believe Waze is native in Android, so does it work better with our cars?

I have Apple Music to stream music, but I can switch.

In a perfect world I'll leave an android device just for music and waze in the car, and use my iPhone for calls. I can tether my iPhone to Android for internet access.

SR 33 07-12-2017 02:08 AM

You can't use waze on apple carplay, only the apple maps

SuperSound 07-12-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR 33 (Post 9813885)

Bingo. There is no comparison and never will be in all likelihood.

nicktechla 07-12-2017 10:05 AM

I heard they are working on it

bpang1234 07-12-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR 33 (Post 9813885)

Yeah it sucks that Apple is being so proprietary with what will work in Carplay. Their map app is clearly 2nd tier...maybe 3rd tier. Would love to just have regular Google Maps.

PnCRedJwl2SS 07-12-2017 09:31 PM

I've used both. Both work consistently well. Personally, my favorite (by a wide margin) is Android Auto, for the following reasons:

1. Hands-free texting is dead simple / voice recognition is superior (CP takes me more attempts to get directions right or send accurate text messages).

2. Google Maps beats Apple Maps in terms of interface, traffic alerts, responsiveness in rerouting, and accuracy (from my personal observations, alternating between both AA and CP on my daily commute).

3. Waze beta...I'm also running this now, so I have two nav options...Questions???

4. Music...so easy to pick from among my installed music apps (Pandora, Amazon, Google Play, iHeartradio)...painless.

5. "Okay Google" functionality works! I just say it to text, get directions, play music, ask questions from the web ("Okay Google, where is the nearest Shell gas station?")...I don't even have to push a button or look away from the road.

Apple CarPlay is okay. It's just...like my iPhone...it feels...limited.

Hope this helps,

SSport16 07-12-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpang1234 (Post 9815070)
Yeah it sucks that Apple is being so proprietary with what will work in Carplay. Their map app is clearly 2nd tier...maybe 3rd tier. Would love to just have regular Google Maps.

This is the reason that IT people like myself absolutely hate Apple, their locked down ecosystem is going to eventually bite them in the rear end, it is starting to happen already.

bpang1234 07-13-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSport16 (Post 9815414)
This is the reason that IT people like myself absolutely hate Apple, their locked down ecosystem is going to eventually bite them in the rear end, it is starting to happen already.

Yeah I still like it for now because my use isn't at the power-level that a lot of people are at. Use my phone mostly for work and just need something I can always count on to work.

Apple Maps however is a HUGE drawback. I'm not sure where the profit is for Apple to run a map service versus just pay Google to use their's but I wish that they would go back to running Google Maps or even create a new partnership with Garmin.

slick3 07-13-2017 03:47 PM

Forced use of Apple Maps is really the only thing I HATE about Car Play. The rest of the features work well. I dont spend hours on end in my car either so I may be a little less picky than some.

I much prefer Waze or GMaps if I had a choice. The only reason I have an apple phone in the first place is iMessage. Besides that I still think Android is superior.