CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   AC Stretch Belt Tool (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538980)

1LE Red Dragon 09-19-2018 12:28 PM

AC Stretch Belt Tool

Has anybody found a stretch belt install tool that works on an LT4 or LT1 motor for the AC belt?

The one that gates sells is too big to fit behind the stock crank pulley nor the ATI balancer. The AC pulley has no room behind it, and the front of the AC pulley has the clutch so the tool wont fit there either. I tried the Lisle one, and it didnt work for the same clearance issues.

I searched and didnt find much information, besides walking the belt on like a bicycle chain. I had no luck using that method (without a tool).

ZED SLED 09-19-2018 12:33 PM

I just watched an episode of Car Fix on Velocity last week where Jared did this using a zip tie for the same reason. But, sorry, can't remember what they were working on or what episode it was.

Found this video where the same technique was done on a Mazda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTMs9KVzBc

Chris V 09-19-2018 12:55 PM

That zip-tie method is way more elegant than the cursing I did trying to figure out how to get mine back on, before just reusing the old one :laugh:

EDFHOBBIES 09-19-2018 01:03 PM

what cant you walk the ac belt on I used a cheater bar on the crank bolt to turn the motor started the belt on the balancer turned the motor and it grabbed and worked its way on the AC pulley, You do have to apply sideways force near the AC pulley so it walks on to go over the ribs... Are you saying it wont fit over the Lingenfelter 15% now?

it does help with a extra set of hands to hold the belt on the top of the AC pulley while you turn the crank all along having that set of hand pushing sideways towards the motor

1LE Red Dragon 09-19-2018 01:07 PM

There are no spokes to put the zip tie through on the crank pulley (ATI damper) nor on the AC pulley. Zip tie method not possible on this application.

1LE Red Dragon 09-19-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES (Post 10315828)
what cant you walk the ac belt on I used a cheater bar on the crank bolt to turn the motor started the belt on the balancer turned the motor and it grabbed and worked its way on the AC pulley, You do have to apply sideways force near the AC pulley so it walks on to go over the ribs... Are you saying it wont fit over the Lingenfelter 15% now?

it does help with a extra set of hands to hold the belt on the top of the AC pulley while you turn the crank all along having that set of hand pushing sideways towards the motor

I put the belt completely on the back pulley (closest to motor) on the ATI damper. Then try to get the belt started on the top of the AC pulley. I can get the belt fully on the AC pulley up to about 12 oclock, the rest of the belt is on the outside of the AC pulley face. I try holding that SOB belt to the AC pulley until my thumbs are killing me. I then had my neighbor pull up on the 1/2" ratchet to turn the crank clockwise to get the belt to work its way onto the AC pulley. No matter how hard I push on the belt to the pulley, I cant get it to walk around. I have tried for 3 hours now, with no luck.

1LE Red Dragon 09-19-2018 02:30 PM

I was trying to install the AC belt prior to installing the 8.6 lower overdrive pulley. All i had was the damper installed. So the blower lower drive pulley was not even involved. Its all about getting that damn AC belt to walk around the AC pulley.

EDFHOBBIES 09-19-2018 02:57 PM

I didn't have that problem sorry to hear that.. maybe since I reused my belt it was stretch a bit. It should be able to be done w this method.

TMS 09-19-2018 04:33 PM

1LE Red Dragon, sorry you are having a time of it.

I had a bit of difficulty doing the same thing. To get mine on I did not load the belt onto the final groove of the damper. Just too much stretch required. I loaded it onto the outer groove of the damper then worked the belt on to the A/C compressor then went back to the damper and worked the belt over to the inner groove.

GT-ER 09-19-2018 06:20 PM

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-345...w+ac+belt+tool

I have a few stretch belt tools and this is the only one I could find that fit my ZL1 and worked. Still a pain though. What a dumb design....

Juiced1 09-19-2018 07:46 PM

Belt stretch tools can work sometimes but on the LT ac belt you won't need it. The belt itself with stretch a bit and you can get it on with some persuasion.

A funny side note, when I was looking for a belt stretch tool I jumped on ebay and looked up belt stretcher....I got a good laugh out of that one lol.

1LE Red Dragon 09-19-2018 09:35 PM

I guess I'm just too weak. I couldn't get it to start/stretch to get it on. I'm guessing I might have had success if I did what TMS suggested and put it on outer pulley ring on the damper and got it on the AC pulley,then persuaded it over to the back section of the damper, where it belongs.

I said the heck with it and put the car back together without it. I'm taking it to my friend at Chevy to have him install it while hes doing my free 1st oil change.

headgamez 09-20-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris V (Post 10315819)
That zip-tie method is way more elegant than the cursing I did trying to figure out how to get mine back on, before just reusing the old one :laugh:

:sm0:

Stephen12ZL1 09-20-2018 11:15 AM

new belt is way more difficult than reusing the stock belt. Supposedly, the stretch fit belts are not to be reused but I never had a problem on the LSA on 4 different cars. Zip tie method was the winner for me on an LS7 that proved to be difficult using a new belt. I have the gates stretch fit tool and the wedge style tool but both proved to be difficult to position.