CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   FEELER: CUSTOM CRASH BAR (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619537)

SOCAL.M6.ZLE 09-09-2023 11:04 AM

FEELER: CUSTOM CRASH BAR

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Team,

As discussed in another thread, I was interested in a custom crash bar solution that didn't block airflow, allowed for better aesthetics with perhaps better low speed impact security based on the addition of a lower bar.

This solution would have provisions for the tow hook, and brackets for the brake ducting. Clearly there is no current solution, and I'd like to figure this out...

Question; when finished with mine, would any of you be interested in purchasing one? If I can get enough pre-orders, we will have better buying power for the fabricator.

Everything would be fabricated from steel, and would ship raw finish, so you can powder coat, or paint to the color of your choice.

Thoughts?
Any mass interest?

Z OH 6 09-09-2023 11:36 AM

Let's see the final product, then I think you will be able to determine true interest. I'm intrigued though.

radz28 09-09-2023 01:15 PM

+2

Camfab 09-09-2023 03:23 PM

So you’re looking to create a CHP push bar type steel bumper? Maybe I need to read the other thread….

ZL1...SON 09-09-2023 05:04 PM

Definitely interested depending on final product and price.

Smokin19 09-10-2023 06:37 AM

I am not an engineer but, if GM could have done something different they would have. Of course they had to comply with federal crash tests. I think insurance companies might not pay damages in an accident if this front bar got removed or modified. Still would like to see if there is an alternative.

SOCAL.M6.ZLE 09-10-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin19 (Post 11357439)
I am not an engineer but, if GM could have done something different they would have. Of course they had to comply with federal crash tests. I think insurance companies might not pay damages in an accident if this front bar got removed or modified. Still would like to see if there is an alternative.

Hey Smokin, with all due respect, I think you are giving GM way too much credit... I could think of 10 things right off the top of my head, that they COULD have done, to make these cars better, and did not... homelink button right off the top would have been super easy... but nooooooo :smiling1:

I agree, the bar I have in mind, may not fare as well as the stock bar, but that is not the reason for this upgrade and nor was it for the others who have designed a similar, but lacking alternate solution. I'm just trying to take it one step further and move the bars out of the way completely, add provisions for the tow hook, and air ducking... I'll be sure to post photos once done... stay tuned, and thanks for the interest!

bootss 09-10-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE (Post 11357453)
Hey Smokin, with all due respect, I think you are giving GM way too much credit... I could think of 10 things right off the top of my head, that they COULD have done, to make these cars better, and did not... homelink button right off the top would have been super easy... but nooooooo :smiling1:

I agree, the bar I have in mind, may not fare as well as the stock bar, but that is not the reason for this upgrade and nor was it for the others who have designed a similar, but lacking alternate solution. I'm just trying to take it one step further and move the bars out of the way completely, add provisions for the tow hook, and air ducking... I'll be sure to post photos once done... stay tuned, and thanks for the interest!

Or not making the damn side skirt one part with a painted rocker.

Or making the clips for the carnards better

Or using a better hood wrap

Yeah, i could think of a few.

ZLElvira 09-10-2023 08:59 AM

I have no idea why they call it a "Crash Bar" as every ZL1 I have seen in a front-end crash, that huge cooling encumbrance did absolutely diddly-squat!!!

I plan on removing mine and making a mount for the air-oil cooler, removing the joke of a engine coolant to plate heat exchanger mounted on the side of the block.

Camfab 09-10-2023 09:47 AM

Ok, now I get it. You’re removing an existing internal structure, sorry I envisioned some clunky exterior piece, lol! Since I really haven’t studied the part, my question would be, does that piece actually provide structural integrity to the chassis as well as providing some kind of integrated crash crumple design. I don’t think that the term crash bar necessarily means it’s designed to mitigate damage to the car, it’s likely a part designed to ensure what ever destruction takes place saves the occupants.

Owl3 09-10-2023 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camfab (Post 11357481)
Ok, now I get it. You’re removing an existing internal structure, sorry I envisioned some clunky exterior piece, lol! Since I really haven’t studied the part, my question would be, does that piece actually provide structural integrity to the chassis as well as providing some kind of integrated crash crumple design. I don’t think that the term crash bar necessarily means it’s designed to mitigate damage to the car, it’s likely a part designed to ensure what ever destruction takes place saves the occupants.

the objective of that part (on all vehicles, not just the Camaro) is to absorb the energy of a front end crash by collapsing instead of sending the force onto the occupants

Rapid_blue_zl1_22 09-10-2023 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZLElvira (Post 11357466)
I have no idea why they call it a "Crash Bar" as every ZL1 I have seen in a front-end crash, that huge cooling encumbrance did absolutely diddly-squat!!!

I plan on removing mine and making a mount for the air-oil cooler, removing the joke of a engine coolant to plate heat exchanger mounted on the side of the block.

I did the PWR/C&R oil cooler and deleted the stock oil cooler (heater) on my car. It works great so far, but I haven't had it back on track yet. I went a non-conventional route and deleted the auxiliary radiator instead of the Auxiliary intercooler. So far I haven't noticed any change in engine coolant temperature, if anything it is better than before. The thought was, deleting the OEM oil cooler would heat the coolant less, making the aux radiator obsolete.

Camfab 09-12-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owl3 (Post 11357580)
the objective of that part (on all vehicles, not just the Camaro) is to absorb the energy of a front end crash by collapsing instead of sending the force onto the occupants

I think that was my point, maybe I didn’t get that across. It’s not designed to save the car. Though it may also be providing structural integrity to the chassis as well.

Smokin19 09-13-2023 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the part in question. Anyone have pic of it removed?