CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Anyone added extra mufflers after their longtube header install? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535839)

Chris Edwards 08-07-2018 05:42 PM

Anyone added extra mufflers after their longtube header install?

I'm considering adding 2 resonators where the stock cats were, and also a Magnaflow "2 into 2" dual inlet/ outlet muffler in the rear, just before the rear differential. I had done this with my SS sedan and it's the only way in hell to make things civil when using longtubes, even with the stock NPP system.

https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...f12469_500.jpg

BMWM.D. 08-07-2018 06:04 PM

I think my car is more than acceptable with the valves closed in the stock muffler. I do have high flow cats, which probably helps. I feel like it would be way too quiet with an extra muffler. I’d do a set of resonators if you’re catless though.

Chris Edwards 08-07-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWM.D. (Post 10275542)
I think my car is more than acceptable with the valves closed in the stock muffler. I do have high flow cats, which probably helps. I feel like it would be way too quiet with an extra muffler. I’d do a set of resonators if you’re catless though.

Cats make a HUGE difference. They act as a very effective muffler for each bank of cylinders.

I should have specified that this question was directed towards catless headers.

GT-ER 08-07-2018 06:38 PM

I was JUST going to open a thread on this...lol.

With my OBX LT's, no cats and factory muffler, car sounds tinny and raspy. If I close the valves, the valves rattle. :(

I think some resonators will fix the problem, but don't know what to go with.

Chris Edwards 08-07-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmoore23 (Post 10275874)
I know the stock cats can break down under added power.

That's the reason right there.

mdmoore23 08-07-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Edwards (Post 10275878)
That's the reason right there.

Got it. I was just about to change my post to quote yours.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 08-07-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT-ER (Post 10275582)
I was JUST going to open a thread on this...lol.

With my OBX LT's, no cats and factory muffler, car sounds tinny and raspy. If I close the valves, the valves rattle. :(

I think some resonators will fix the problem, but don't know what to go with.

It might help but won't take away the tinny and raspy sound. That's unfortunately how the ZL1 NPP seems to sound after adding Headers/no cats. All of the other GM cars sound good with just Headers/no cats or high flow cats but not a fan of how the 6th gen ZL1 sounds with that setup. If the resonators/extra muffler(s) doesn't fix it, then try a different axle-back/cat-back like Corsa or Borla. Borla gives you valves. Corsa gives you control with your foot. Corsa is only screaming loud at WOT or 80%+ throttle and when is any car with headers quiet with 80%+ throttle? Never.

Chris Edwards 08-08-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10275915)
It might help but won't take away the tinny and raspy sound. That's unfortunately how the ZL1 NPP seems to sound after adding Headers/no cats. All of the other GM cars sound good with just Headers/no cats or high flow cats but not a fan of how the 6th gen ZL1 sounds with that setup. If the resonators/extra muffler(s) doesn't fix it, then try a different axle-back/cat-back like Corsa or Borla. Borla gives you valves. Corsa gives you control with your foot. Corsa is only screaming loud at WOT or 80%+ throttle and when is any car with headers quiet with 80%+ throttle? Never.

You’re right. A V2 CTS-V sounds great with headers/ no cats and stock mufflers. But there’s something about the 6th gen mufflers that clashes with the frequencies of catless exhaust. I’ll surely be swapping to Borla/Magnaflow/Corsa if the mid muffler and resonators don’t dial the sound in to something a bit more pleasing to the ear. Loud is one thing but ZL1 NPP + no cats sounds like a coffee can full of rocks and nails.

Ricco 08-08-2018 07:57 AM

I am LT's into Kooks full decat midpipe into stock NPP. I can't even hear the exhaust while cruising at 50mph, even with the roof down!

Are you sure you dont have your NPP set open all the time?

IneedAZ 08-08-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricco (Post 10276091)
I am LT's into Kooks full decat midpipe into stock NPP. I can't even hear the exhaust while cruising at 50mph, even with the roof down!

nice to know for when i start my mods

Ricco 08-08-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10275915)

I like my setup better than Scott’s. He has LT’s into stock midpipe into a Corsa axle back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWM.D. 08-08-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Edwards (Post 10275576)
Cats make a HUGE difference. They act as a very effective muffler for each bank of cylinders.

I should have specified that this question was directed towards catless headers.

I agree they make a difference in volume and tone. That’s one of the reasons I always try to run them if possible. I’d think a set of resonators in the spot where the cats/off road pipes go would produce a similar result.

Jhunsberger 08-08-2018 10:15 AM

Not a ZL1 here, but a Whipple SS. I did cat delete pipes with all stock exhaust and HATED how it sounded, and it was embarrassingly loud. So I did the Borla ATAK system and added in their resonator in the mid-pipe, which is ceramic packed, so it wont over heat like the cats could. I am very happy with the exhaust now, and i am sure the resonator made a big difference.

Rlhay2 08-08-2018 10:46 AM

When I eventually install cat-less long tube headers I intend to run dual x-pipes into the stock muffler to quell the extra noise.