CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oh, it's just a battery change.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546002)

Martinjlm 01-11-2019 09:50 AM

Oh, it's just a battery change....

I am inclined to believe that there is a front row parking spot in the garage of Hell for whomever engineered the battery system in the Cadillac SRX. It required 4 different socket sizes, pliers, a screwdriver, a rubber mallet, hands smaller than mine, and at least 5% of my engineering degree to change the damn battery. :mad: :mad:

The fact that it was under 20 degrees was just bonus.

rocket403 01-11-2019 10:13 AM

GM general mistake as my Ford friend would say

snizzle 01-11-2019 10:20 AM

Dammit Barra. Did I do it right?

BMR Sales 01-11-2019 10:24 AM

gotta try to keep the masses coming back to the Stealerships somehow!

rocket403 01-11-2019 10:35 AM

Challenger has the perfect location the trunk LOL

Vegas Bound 01-11-2019 11:59 AM

Try changing a battery in a CLS550.

DenverTaco07 01-11-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket403 (Post 10407573)
Challenger has the perfect location the trunk LOL

so... just like the Camaro.

JerTM 01-11-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10407527)
I am inclined to believe that there is a front row parking spot in the garage of Hell for whomever engineered the battery system in the Cadillac SRX. It required 4 different socket sizes, pliers, a screwdriver, a rubber mallet, hands smaller than mine, and at least 5% of my engineering degree to change the damn battery. :mad: :mad:

As a GM tech for 12 years, I can attest to this. I really do believe that any engineer that plans on having their designs built should be required to do general maintenance on cars for 2 years before their designs can be made into a product. And once a year they are sent to a shop for a week to do more general maintenance on their own designs. I understand that the bean counters have a pretty heavy hand in what makes it into a car as well, and that manufacturing processes need to be taken into account but some things are just assanine how they were assembled it baffles me. I often come across things that would have been much much simpler if they had moved a bolt, put a bolt in from another direction, or changed the entire design completely. I can't count how many people leave complaining that it costs $85 for a head light bulb. The bulb is about $10, but I have to remove your entire bumper to change it. Don't get me wrong, I come across genius level components from time to time that just make life so much easier and cheaper for the customer.

DGthe3 01-11-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerTM (Post 10407924)
As a GM tech for 12 years, I can attest to this. I really do believe that any engineer that plans on having their designs built should be required to do general maintenance on cars for 2 years before their designs can be made into a product. And once a year they are sent to a shop for a week to do more general maintenance on their own designs. I understand that the bean counters have a pretty heavy hand in what makes it into a car as well, and that manufacturing processes need to be taken into account but some things are just assanine how they were assembled it baffles me. I often come across things that would have been much much simpler if they had moved a bolt, put a bolt in from another direction, or changed the entire design completely. I can't count how many people leave complaining that it costs $85 for a head light bulb. The bulb is about $10, but I have to remove your entire bumper to change it. Don't get me wrong, I come across genius level components from time to time that just make life so much easier and cheaper for the customer.

I figure its done because pretty much nobody buys a new car with 'ease of maintenance' as a priority. When buying used? Sure, sometimes. But not new. And most of those pain-in-the-ass things only come up after the warranty expires and likely with a 2nd or maybe 3rd owner. So its not going to cost GM (or any other automaker) extra to pay for the work to be done nor a new sale from an annoyed owner.

Meanwhile, all they get in return for doing a little more design for maintenance is a bit less less griping from mechanics (of both the professional & shade-tree varieties). Thats not worth much.

JaxChris 01-11-2019 11:32 PM

Read somewhere that on the 2019 Ranger you have to put the truck on jacks and remove a wheel to swap the battery. No battery replacement procedure, unless its' an EV, should say "Step 1: Lift the vehicle".

xc_SS/RS 01-12-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10407527)

At least it's not a starter on a Northstar lol

Mr_Draco 01-12-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxChris (Post 10408199)
Read somewhere that on the 2019 Ranger you have to put the truck on jacks and remove a wheel to swap the battery. No battery replacement procedure, unless its' an EV, should say "Step 1: Lift the vehicle".

One of the Chrsyler's is already this way, it's an '11 or '12 I think.

One of my old bosses had a car that the battery was under the back seat. In order to change it you had to tear apart the whole back half of the car. First you had to remove the trim along the doors and the back window to access the bolts holding the back part of the seat, then you had to remove the back to gain access to the bolts holding the bottom part of the seat so you can remove it to reach the reach the battery.

KMPrenger 01-12-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxChris (Post 10408199)

That was actually to get to the oil filter for doing an oil change...not the battery.

Now, new reports are saying you don't *really* have to remove the wheel, but you do have to turn the wheel all the way one direction to access a panel to get to the oil filter. Doesn't seem much better.

shibbs 01-12-2019 11:09 PM

Nothing surprises me anymore. BMW is worse. Not easy to get to, but the car has to be programmed to the exact size battery installed in the car, and even if you put an identical battery back in, the battery has to be "registered" to the car to tell the charging system there's a new battery in the car. If a new battery isn't registered, it won't last even a year at best, because the car charges a new battery differently than it charges an old battery.