CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Wildhammer Time (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533390)

hawk02 07-08-2018 06:07 PM

Wildhammer Time

2 Attachment(s)
Installed a Wildhammer Motorsports custom carbon fiber steering wheel on my ZL1 today. Spent the afternoon driving around with the new wheel. Here are my initial impressions.

The Good:
  1. Quality is absolutely outstanding. I can't find a single flaw. It's as well made as you can get.
  2. Grip and feel is fantastic. This is how the OEM steering wheel should feel. If you track your ZL1, you really should consider getting one.

The Bad:
  1. The carbon fiber gets real hot to the touch when your car sits in the sun for any length of time.
  2. The wheel blocks visibility of the very top portion of the dashboard guages. I have to duck to see all of the turn signal when it's blinking or the area directly above the direction indicator.
  3. You loose the heated steering wheel function

Installation wasn't too bad. Took myself and a friend about 90 minutes to install. I definitely recommend having someone available to help. It also helps to have access to an impact gun. Trying to take the steering wheel bolt off with a standard socket wrench is not going to be easy. These two videos were a big help with the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzF...&frags=pl%2Cwn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaVa...&frags=pl%2Cwn

My only issue with the wheel is the alignment angle is slightly off. Not sure how or why that happened. Everything is keyed so putting the new steering wheel on is something that's really hard to screw up. A trip to the dealer may be in order to resolve the alignment issue.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the Wildhammer wheel. The carbon fiber on the wheel really helps balance the carbon fiber dash pad. The interior now has a very coordinated and luxurious look and feel to it.

KahunaCanuck 07-08-2018 06:55 PM

Looks good!

Mcmillion 07-09-2018 02:12 PM

Looks great. Thanks for the review you brought up items I never thought about.

FH212 07-09-2018 03:25 PM

Damn that looks great!

kropscamaro16 07-09-2018 03:27 PM

looks good is the carbon fiber part pretty slippier tho? that was my only concern about not getting one

waterman 07-09-2018 03:35 PM

Very nice! CF coating looks smooth, without gloves are there any grip issues?

Digging that console lid too.

RDBill 07-09-2018 04:17 PM

Looks good! I see your center console is covered in swede. Where did you get that and do they have it without the lettering?

Cheng Chow Wan 07-09-2018 06:08 PM

I'm loving it.

Is the stock wheel worth any coin?

hawk02 07-09-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 (Post 10244165)
looks good is the carbon fiber part pretty slippier tho? that was my only concern about not getting one

Nope. Not slippery at all. There are subtle indentations for your fingers on the back side of the carbon fiber section at the top of the wheel. The wheel really feels good in your hands.

hawk02 07-09-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDBill (Post 10244225)
Looks good! I see your center console is covered in swede. Where did you get that and do they have it without the lettering?

The console lid cover is a GM aftermarket part. Unfortunately, you can't get it without lettering. You can get the chevy bowtie with word Performance or the Fifty logo.

There are two color options for the chevy performance lettering, light gray or torch red.

The part numbers are 84022486 (red) or 84022486 (gray). The part number for the Fifty logo is 84092715.

There's also a Fifty logo in a Galvanized Cool color but it doesn't match the interior of the ZL1.

I found Shopchevyparts.com to have the best price for the lids.

kropscamaro16 07-10-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk02 (Post 10244413)
Nope. Not slippery at all. There are subtle indentations for your fingers on the back side of the carbon fiber section at the top of the wheel. The wheel really feels good in your hands.

gotcha might look into one of these later but no other carbon fiber inside my interior lol boo

hawk02 09-02-2018 10:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another Wildhammer carbon fiber product showed up this weekend. This one is the carbon fiber shift knob.

alssiri 09-02-2018 10:52 PM

Wow looks really great .

Ahmad

hashtag 09-02-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk02 (Post 10244429)
The console lid cover is a GM aftermarket part. Unfortunately, you can't get it without lettering. You can get the chevy bowtie with word Performance or the Fifty logo.

There are two color options for the chevy performance lettering, light gray or torch red.

The part numbers are 84022486 (red) or 84022486 (gray). The part number for the Fifty logo is 84092715.

There's also a Fifty logo in a Galvanized Cool color but it doesn't match the interior of the ZL1.

I found Shopchevyparts.com to have the best price for the lids.

The Carbon Fiber Dash insert is a factory option. My supervisor gets upset with me sometimes as I usually order all of the ZL1’s with the Dash & C/F Fuel Cap.