CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Catted Ca Catless Longtubes (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556790)

BruceWayne1LE 06-19-2019 09:44 PM

Catted Ca Catless Longtubes

Just curious on noise level difference. I have the MBRP Raceback. About to pull the trigger on a set of 1 7/8” Kooks and can’t decide if I want to get the high flow cats or just go catless. Is the noise level significantly different between the two?

GreatWhiteLT 06-19-2019 11:03 PM

I can tell you right now, i just got TSP 1 7/8th headers catless installed on my mbrp race axle back and the thing SCREAMS anything above 2500 RPM's. It's honestly not the for the every day driver if you cant stand a lot of cabin noise. But if it does not bother you then go for it

Dysan911 06-20-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE (Post 10549403)
Just curious on noise level difference. I have the MBRP Raceback. About to pull the trigger on a set of 1 7/8” Kooks and can’t decide if I want to get the high flow cats or just go catless. Is the noise level significantly different between the two?

I have American Racing 1 7/8 headers and started catless but eventually went with some Vibrant Gesi High flow cats.

The Highflow cats won't really make much of a difference in the volume of the sound but will refine it in a good way, reduce or eliminate any rasp and eliminate that awful smell that no cats force you to deal with.

Fast02Z06 06-20-2019 11:57 AM

all my rides are catless. I absolutely love the sound of a cammed headers without cats thru exhaust. you can't go worng

oldman 06-20-2019 12:50 PM

My car ran like shiznett and sounded like rusty tin can with no-cats, I have headers and have gone from mild to wild. Putting cats in was the best single mod I have ever done. I was going to do it anyway I just wanted the tune correct. no-cats sound like cheap Mustang exhaust IMO of course.

BruceWayne1LE 06-20-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysan911 (Post 10549739)
I have American Racing 1 7/8 headers and started catless but eventually went with some Vibrant Gesi High flow cats.

The Highflow cats won't really make much of a difference in the volume of the sound but will refine it in a good way, reduce or eliminate any rasp and eliminate that awful smell that no cats force you to deal with.

Yea this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Not a fan of the rasp but I can live with some of it. Really just don’t want to smell the gas fumes (been there done that).

kropscamaro16 06-20-2019 01:08 PM

i have afe power longtubes with cats and they told me in cali both are illegal so it doesnt really matter but you dont really need catless unless your running alot of e85 or race gas and cats/hi flow cats not gonna be a huge power difference

oldman 06-20-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE (Post 10550005)
Yea this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Not a fan of the rasp but I can live with some of it. Really just don’t want to smell the gas fumes (been there done that).

My car like your is a M6, IMO the M6 with no cats at low RPM sounds like a rusty Mustang exhaust. You will feel the same way... Put cats in smooth like butta… still sounds great. As noted I've gone from mild to crazy....

paleon 06-20-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 10550083)
My car like your is a M6, IMO the M6 with no cats at low RPM sounds like a rusty Mustang exhaust. You will feel the same way... Put cats in smooth like butta… still sounds great. As noted I've gone from mild to crazy....

Do you need to get the car retuned if going from a catless setup initially to a catted one?

oldman 06-20-2019 09:34 PM

Some tuners turn off the rear o2 no matter what. There are smog reddy codes that never turnoff...soifyou have to pass smog...